how to deal with icky tree droppings?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

mali

how to deal with icky tree droppings?

Post by mali »

Forgive me if this isn't the right place; I've tried to search but not sure what key phrases to use....

We've just moved into a house with a lovely backyard and three huge trees. Unfortunately, we found that one of the trees drops tons of little black berries that stain cement, canvas, wood, and just about everything else in the yard. I've been thinking of putting up a bit of netting that would catch the berries and send them to one side of the yard, but that seems awfully awkward. I wonder if anyone else has dealt with a problem like this? I'm not a total treehugger, but anything that would damage the tree is not really an option for me....

Help?
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have no idea what it is called, but there is some type of spray you can use on trees to keep them from making fruit. I work at the Capitol Complex here in OK and 10 years ago Iowa Agriculture came down and planted 160 trees to honor those killed in the Alfred P Murrah building bombing. Anyway the trees planted for the children were some type of mulberry tree. They spray them every year and they do not produce fruit, therefore no mess. Hopefully someone will know what it is called, or you might check with your county extension office. They might know what it is called.
Good luck

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply