Contorted willow

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

patsue53

Contorted willow

Post by patsue53 »

DS brought home a Golden Contorted Willow from his job today. (he's supposed to be bringing me Hydrangea's!! :x :lol: ) Sunny spots are at a premium on my property and I'm just not sure where to plant this fella. The website says it can be pruned to remain more of a shrub than a tree but if left unpruned will get quite tall.

Does anybody have this tree? How do you grow it? Does it have to have FULL sun? I'm just not at all sure where I'm going to be this guy if he can't go in my ravine.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I'm not sure about that particular variety, but I got a contorted willow last year and the nursery man warned me not to plant it anywhere near my water/sewer lines. He said they have a HUGE root system and cen be root invasive near water sources.

He also said they are fast growing and can put on several feet of growth each year.

Maybe plant it in a large container and keep it pruned?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Think of pruning as in chainsaw and down to the ground! You might be able to do it every other year instead of every year.

If allowed to grow into a tree, it is (like other willows) very trashy: it drops a lot of broken branches and branchlets.

That said, I have three different contorted willows...but then again, I have lots and lots of room.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh brother. :( I'm really wishing he hadn't brought this thing home. I do not need anything with an invasive root system dropping trashy twigs all over the place. I do think it will go into a pot. jeesh.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm a little late replying to this, but I agree with your plan to put it in a pot... a very, very large pot! I have one of these in the chicken yard that I planted about 15 or so years ago. I let it grow into a tree, because I wanted shade fast. They are trashy, lots of small branches dropping, and also a lot of 'belly button lint' for my hostas. I do love it, though, and so far, the hostas are still growing quite well in that area. I love looking at the form of it in the winter, too. I've seen them pruned back to the ground, and they do make a nice shrub. I know someone who grows several of them, and prunes them constantly to use the stems in flower arrangements.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply