Branch Dying on Dwarf Lilac

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dave P

Branch Dying on Dwarf Lilac

Post by Dave P »

I can't remember if its a Miss Kim or Korean, but I'm pretty sure it's a korean.

Anywho, there is one branch that is just looking horid, and if cut out, will leave a nice gaping hole in the side of the plant you actually see. And I really can't take the whole thing up that far because I'm planting a bed under it with several small hostas and protected stuff.

I'll try to snap a picture tommorow. Its bothering me because it formed bus for next year, but all of the foliage is looking icky. And only on this one branch. Grr.
John

Post by John »

Hey David,

Lilacs are prone to (powdery mildew), so maybe that's it? Has the weather been rainy? Odd it is only one branch though. I'd still recommend cutting that out if diseased and rest of plant is healthy. It should fill in the gap soon. Hate to lose those flower buds.

Hope it worls out for you.

John
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

That's what I'd do if it were mine. I know it seems like it would be 'ugly' for a year, but it will fill in quickly. You'll be surprised and perhaps even by the end of the year, when the other branches get the extra light, they'll fill it in this year.

Good luck. A pic would be helpful though to id what is wrong.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Here a some pictures, the last one is rather large.

http://caddiegonemad.googlepages.com/DSCF0535.JPG
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Lilacs will also get a lilac leaf blight, but your picture looks more like the whole branch is dying out. Look back along the branch and seeif you can spot any necrotic tissue or interruptions to the bark; something that does not look normal to you.
For sure get all the dead/diseased/dying foliage off of and away from the plant until you determine if the whole branch has to come out.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Yep, Kellie is right, get it out of there, in case it spreads and is something simple.

Is it possible it got stomped on or broken at the base?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply