What's this?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

What's this?

Post by Herb »

I saw this today in somebody else's garden (in Victoria, B.C.). It was growing in light shade.

It's a low-growing plant, no more than about 6 or 8 inches high. It had spread to cover an area of about 4 by 6 feet. I think it was all one plant. This is a picture of only part of the plant.

At first I wondered if it was a Daphne cneorum, but any Daphne cneorum that I've seen has always been rather more mounding and compact and has had somewhat smaller leaves than these.

When I asked the owners what it was, they said that all they knew was that it was some sort of rock plant. They said they thought it sometimes had white flowers (Daphne cneorum, I think, always has pink flowers).

Can anybody tell me what it is?

Herb
Attachments
Unknown rock plant 2.JPG
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmmmm......looks somewhat like something I have that is called "Snow in the Summer".

Does it have tiny white blossoms? It's a great ground cover that spreads easily. Here's some info......p :wink:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/728/index.html
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Kellie sent me this email... she can't log in to Hallson's right now, but here's her reply:

"I think that it's Hebe pinquifolia pagei or something like that."

Maybe you could look up the Hebe and see if it looks the same?

Andi/Kellie
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Herb

Post by Herb »

Thanks for that. Google images produced pictures for both Hebe pinquifolia pagei and - it was Google's suggestion - Hebe pinquifolia pagei. I think the spellings may be alternatives for the same thing.

The best site it came up with was this one, which shows a sample along with a description that's pretty well exactly the same as the plant I was asking about. I think you've led me to the right answer. Now all I have to do is find one in a nursery so that we can grow one too........

Herb

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... D%26sa%3DN
New Topic Post Reply