Beauty berry shrub in Indiana?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Beauty berry shrub in Indiana?

Post by Gardentoad »

I grew some beautyberry, callicarpa americana, from seeds this year in pots.

From what I have read on the net, this is a southern shrub.
Does anyone know if it will survive in central Indiana?
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hi Gardentoad! We have a beautiful little shrub of this planted near the greenhouses at school. We are zone 5...it has been there 6 years and does fine. It is one of my favorites....doesn't even look quite real!.....p :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh wow.....I just saw this post, as I was going to ask in this forum what is the name of this shrub I have that I LOVE! I want to put a label on it......And the name Beautyberry rings a bell now.....is this what mine is? I can e-mail a friend that works at the nursery that I got it from to get the name also, but thought of here first, of course.....

I just Googled, and it seems to be the same..... :D

You should be able to grow it! :D
Attachments
s 109.jpg
s 108.jpg
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Hey thanks again Lucy I was going to look this shrub up need a small one. Saved me the trouble and I will make a note of this one!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Yep, that's it.

Claudia, If you happen to get down to the south east side of Indianapolis I'd give you one. Mine are only about 5 inches tall. I already planted the larger ones, they were about 9" tall. They grew well from seed and I have repotted them 3 times.

they were very easy to start from seed I just took a few berries off a bush last fall, left them in a small plastic box in my unheated garage and broke them open over little 2" pots this spring. I had to thin them out a lot so I'd say most of the seeds came up. I left 3 plants per pot.
Mine would be bigger but I kept them in half day sun so I didn't have to water them so much during the heat of the summer.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Your welcome Claudia!!

So you used the berries to start new ones.....Hmmm.....So this re-seeds then? I can't remember what the berries end up doing.....if they break open or what.....My neighbor liked it tonight when she was over......maybe I will try the seeds for her.....Thanks Gardentoad! :D
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Lucy, you did good again

Post by oldcoot »

That is beautiful. ALmost looks like a large fern......OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Well, I never got back here Gardentoad till to today. If I had seen your post sooner I would have taken you up on that. I was that way couple weeks ago!!

That's me always a day late & a dollar short! :roll:

Thanks for the offer though.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply