Is it sick? What should I do?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Is it sick? What should I do?

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

:eek:
What are those brown knot-like things on the left half of the picture?
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Those galls are most likely caused by the Phomopsis fungus. There is no known control measure, but it rarely kills a plant. You can prune out galls (sterilizing pruners between cuts) if you don't like the appearance.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Were it mine, I would cut the entire shrub (right after bloom) down to just a foot high to promote new, bushier growth and better form. And sterilize the pruners afterwards.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Midnight Reiter Too

My forsythia is a standard. How far down would you cut a standard, or would you?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If it is a standard does that mean it was grafted onto something else? If so, then no, you wouldn't want to cut it down.

I was wondering, though, is that some kind of fruit forming on the new growth in the top of the picture? It looks similar in shape to the brown cluster. Could the brown clusters just be old, dried fruit from last year?

I'm sure you have a better idea of whether it is in the bark or just hanging on the outside.
John

Post by John »

I have seen these galls also, and as recommended by buckeye, would prune them out, sterilizing as you go. I'd reshape the forsythia while I was at it, and maybe stake it to maintain the standard form? Forsythia respond very well to pruning after bloom.

Chris, I don't think I've ever seen seeds form on those, maybe I've never looked closely enough. Mine was removed to make room for more hostas...
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi John,

The better flowering varieties of forsythia are usually sterile, but this particular one looks like it might be setting seed. However, that might be from the plant that the standard was grafted to.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I can see what you are talking about Chris
I have never seen anything like that on a Forsythia before
Surely if you prune hard you don't get flowers next year? Or am I wrong on this?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Yes prune after the blooms as stated above. whis4ey, we have pruned ours clear to the gound as it had gotten out of control between the blueberries, it bloomed the next year like crazy. It's my understanding they bloom on new growth so prune away to shape!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Midnight Reiter Too

Chris_W wrote:If it is a standard does that mean it was grafted onto something else? If so, then no, you wouldn't want to cut it down.

I was wondering, though, is that some kind of fruit forming on the new growth in the top of the picture? It looks similar in shape to the brown cluster. Could the brown clusters just be old, dried fruit from last year?

I'm sure you have a better idea of whether it is in the bark or just hanging on the outside.
I've thoroughly examined my shrub and don't feel good about it as there are actually more galls than I first noticed. Also every year it gets a lot of annoying suckers at the base.

What looks like fruit at the top of the photo are buds that hadn't opened. I believe this forsythia was grafted onto another plant but I can't give you any details about that. I've decided to get rid of the whole shrub rather than worry about this virus or what-have-you infecting another plant.

I've appreciated everyone's input as I didn't what the heck was going on. The standard looked very pretty in that spot. I don't know what I'll use as a replacement. Is the soil safe in that area?

QUESTION:

Should I disinfect my loppers with alcohol or a Clorox solution? I've always used rubbing alcohol in the past.
Midnight Reiter Too

I dug it up all by myself. Whew!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Should I disinfect my loppers with alcohol or a Clorox solution?

Midnight Reiter, we do not use either of those solutions, we have found boiling water is your best solution with cleaning up our tools. We just fire up the steam cleaner when we know that we will be cutting and digging up items all day.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply