Wood Cuttings

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Wood Cuttings

Post by kHT »

Earlier this year I decided to add more trees to the yard and we love the ones we have so I took wood cuttings of the Golden Chain, Dogwood and Cherry! All appears to be fine but the Dogwood hasn't opened like the rest of the Dogwoods in the yard. Trying to be patient here!!

This fall I'll be trying the contorted hazelnut again, DH was upset I didn't do that one again. It seems two of them aren't enought!

Let's here you success stories on wood cuttings.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Karma, OC is trying that this spring too

Post by oldcoot »

He wanted to plant some Azaleas because he has some really pretty ones. Several years ago, he made the mistake of moving some to the back yard for Joy so she could sit on her sun porch as see them. Unfortunately they all died over time. Not enough light OC thinks. So he was GOING to try o root some. Unfortunate that arctic freeze we had, looks like it might have KILLED them. They had just finishing blooming so OC didn't miss them. Planning to cut them back a good bit when we see how much if ruined. We had had a late April Freeze before, but not a whole week of 22* weather. The r\trees in my back yard had just leafed out and OC doesn't see a leaf on them. Sure hope they don't die.Let you know what happens
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

OC, we have them in a wide range from full sun to partial shade here. What colors do you have and are you interested in other cuttings?? I had a friend here this weekend and he urged me to take cuttings after he saw what I did. We have one azalea that is orange and low to the ground as it spreads.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

:cool: Karma. Good luck with your wood cuttings. Have fun.

I hope your Azaleas make it OC. :)

I have a huge Wegelia that I started from a cutting from DMIL's. :D I also had a Corkscrew Willow that I started from a cutting from my neighbor in Illinois. Every Fall it would get broken off by wind or wildlife and it finally succumbed. :(
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply