Dwarf Korean Lilac

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Dwarf Korean Lilac

Post by LucyGoose »

I bought this for myself for Mother's Day.....

It is.....Syringa Meyeri 'Paplibin'

Does anyone have it? Anything I should know as to where it should be planted? I was thinking up front where I had a butterfly bush die this winter.....I did do a Google and it isn't so *dwarf*....

http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/ ... c+-+Korean

Anyone have it and does it really get that wide?

Thank-You!!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi LucyGoose,

I have several of them and it is my favorite Lilac. I have them planted along the drive and at the back of the hosta garden (the sun shines in there) and they do just fine in dry conditions, heck they even seem to prefer it. Although they don't get too tall (mine rarely have crested 4' although I've seen them up to 6'), yes, they can get just as wide. The good news is that you can prune them after flowering to keep them more compact, plus this can encourage some rebloom.

We had one that Brian though was getting a bit too big and we saw that it had a ton of shoots at the base so we lifted it in the fall and separated it into 3 big divisions. Of course I know that would scare the heck out of you, and I'd probably get a phone call about it, so let's not go there :lol:

Enjoy your new shrub :D

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: Your sooo funny Chris!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks!! I will keep that in mind on how wide it can get and even the guy at the garden center had said that you can prune it after it blooms to keep it in check....But I had to make sure....

Thanks again for the laugh...:lol: Hugs!!! :D
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:lol: :lol: Good one Chris!!

Have to say I am planting 3 plants later today. so I have been moving the around trying to decide where I want them. Every time I sat them down and then spacing them I had this urge to go get the tape measure. :hmm:

LG, the forums would be sooo boring without you!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

:lol:

Good luck with it Lucy - I looked at them just yesterday, but DH said I already had too much to plant and had to wait. Keep us posted on how it is doing!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

:cool: I know you will be enjoying it in the Spring. :D I'm sure I could help you with pruning too so you won't have to get in a tizzy and call Chris.

I have to do some major pruning on the common lilac that's growing into my yard. It's the neighbor's and I like it but it's trying to take over my flower bed.
:o
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

nanny_56 wrote::lol: :lol: Good one Chris!!
Every time I sat them down and then spacing them I had this urge to go get the tape measure. :hmm:

Claudia
:evil: ... :evil: ... :roll: ... :roll: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol:

I still haven't planted it...but I will this weekend when we are both off work...... :cool:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I had one, but never planted it and wound up giving it to my brother. It's really pretty now, should have kept the dang thing :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I don't have any yet, but plan to. They bloom alot heavier than the old fashioned lilac and they also bloom later around here. I'm thinking that could be an advantage over the OF lilacs as mine almost always gets zapped by frost. Hope you enjoy it...they are very fragrant and usually just loaded with blooms!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

You'll love this one LG! It's beautiful when it blooms and I'll tell you, last longer, has a stronger smell and is easy to keep trimmed as stated.

Ours have been in for many years and got a little overgrown a few years ago and I whacked the heck out of it, as you would an old lilac stand, taking out the oldest wood to thin it out. It came back fierce with blooms the next year. As with lilacs, you should do this after blooming is finished for the season.

And I think they bloom better the year after pruning too!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Liselotte

Korean Lilac

Post by Liselotte »

I have 2 in bloom now and I just love them! :cool: I am not a lilac fan but this little one (it is just about 2 ft tall and wide) is really special. I have another lilac and don't know what it is, I suspect a species??? It is about 5 ft tall and 6 ft. wide and full of pink , very fragrant flowers.
Attachments
Flieder .jpg
New Topic Post Reply