Hydrangea White Dome ~ can it take tree root competition?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hapygdnr

Hydrangea White Dome ~ can it take tree root competition?

Post by Hapygdnr »

I'm thinking of getting one to replace a rhododendron that is going to be moved since it can't take the tree root competition. I was trying to find something to tell me if it could survive the competion, but no luck. What I did find is that it is very adaptable and relatively trouble free. So I am hopeful that it could work, but just wanted to ck here to see if any one grows it or had some advice. Maybe Viktoria or another of our experts...
Thanks!
Jeanne
John

Post by John »

I can only tell you that I grow Hydrangea 'Limelight' right up against a tree, and within a few feet of two additional trees including a cherry of some sort, and a mulberry. It is quite happy! It also blooms on new wood, which is important with the weird weather.
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Thanks for your reply John. I chose White Dome for its hardiness, to z4, which is where I am, plus I really like the lace-cap flower form and subtle fragrance. Another plus – like your Limelight, it blooms on new wood. I’ll plant it in a spot near some lilacs and ash trees. Eventual size is h: 4-6 ft and w: 3-4 ft which will work well to partially screen our yard from street noise and give a bit more privacy. Just in the "research" possibilities stage now. Again, thanks for your input.
Jeanne
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jeanne,

Personally I like Annabelle much better than White Dome. The lace cap types really don't excite me but White Dome in particular is a rather poor cultivar. I know because I have White Dome and its not the least bit showy. The few little flowers that actually open are very tiny. But some people do like them so we sell full, 5 gallon containers of it for $15.

White Dome and Annabelle are both Hydrangea arborescens cultivars. They are very hardy and bloom on new wood. You will get the best blooms and best form by cutting them flush to the ground in the spring - especially Annabelle.

I've seen Annabelle growing in really poor conditions around maples and they get a little sparse but still manage to grow and bloom. I've killed them directly under our walnut trees :roll:

I would reverse the size listed, though, to 4 to 6 feet wide and 3 to 4 feet high.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Yes Chris it is good to know.

Sometimes we must stop and remember that pictures in a catalog or internet listing are very much like when we get our own portraits taken by a photographer. Always shown at their best and sometimes I think "retouched". That is probably not the correct terminology nowadays with digital methods but you get the idea.

Thank you for the information. Good to hear from someone who actually grows it. I don't think I'll bother with White Dome. Time & energy ($ too) will be better spent on something else... Back to more researching... Looking for a stand out specimen that can anchor a group of lilacs and take tree root competition. Later bloom time than the lilacs would be good. Not going to have a whole line of them, just want to add one. I thought of a smoke bush but I don't think they are hardy here. Any suggestions will be most wecome. Chris, Annabelle spreads out to a whole group of upright single stems doesn't it?

Jeanne
New Topic Post Reply