Which newer shrubs and cultivars did you try this summer?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

DryGulch

Which newer shrubs and cultivars did you try this summer?

Post by DryGulch »

Which newer shrubs and "improved" cultivars did you try this summer? Did you particularly like some at the end of the summer?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I planted the new (cannot remember the name!), gold-leaved Kolkwitzia. Other things, too, no doubt, but that is the first one that comes to mind. It is too small to impress right now, but I am sure I shall like it.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I've tried a few new plants this year, but so far they are still small so I can't really comment on them. The one plant that has grown like a weed and looks really cool is Forsythia 'Kumson'. I hope that it survives where I have it.

Last year I bought some Limemound spirea and they looked awful. I just could never give them enough water and the foliage burned up constantly. I found out this year that it was probably just that the company I bought them from was overwatering and overfertilizing them so they were really weak. I stuck them on the back hill expecting them to just wither away and to my surprise they were beautiful! I also bought some double mock orange and have been really happy with those. They bloomed almost the entire summer and they still have a few blooms on them now.

Next year I'll be able to report and the new ones from this year :)
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

I tried a Forsythia 'Kumson' too. And it is really nice looking. Grew fast too. I got 2 small rooted cuttings and kept them potted and pampered for the summer. I had thought I'd winter them over in an unheated walkout to the basement but have decided I'd rather try sinking the pot in the ground and see how that goes. They will be planted out in spring in the same spot where they are now if they make it through the winter, not supposed to hardy here. But I had to try anyhow. I'll post a picture later. The leaves are really :cool:.
Jeanne
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Well, I did but not it wasn't quite intentional. Got sent the wrong plants by mail order (not Chris!!). I was supposed to have a Nanho Blue butterfly bush and Petit Bleu caryopteris.

I got neither. I do love the BF bush I got though :D . I just will have to move it to a better spot that will allow for a bigger shrub.

The caryopteris is larger than Petit Bleu, so it will go where the BF bush is now!! That this one was not what I ordered really was a disappointment for me :( . What I got is very nice and bloomed wonderfully, but I needed something smaller in the space. I really was trying to NOT have to rearrange so much.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
DryGulch

Caryopteris Dark Knight

Post by DryGulch »

I really like caryopteris! I have one that is 5 years old now, Dark Knight. It is about 3 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet. They are quicker to emerge here on the edge or in zone 4 (depending how you slice that USDA map) than butterfly bush and it appears more reliably hardy. The foliage is very fragrant and nice when you rub past them and the flowers were incredible. As a subshrub, I leave the plant iintack until the end of April, crop it to about 1 foot from the ground and pinch it back about 3 weeks later as well. This year I took cuttings and with rooting hormone rooted 50/50, all of which bloomed this fall.

Planted with my Dart's Gold ninebark and dwarf artic blue willow, the combo was better than any tres amigos I can think of!
DryGulch

Also the Blushing Bride hydrangea

Post by DryGulch »

I have a few of these and they are pretty slow to get moving in the summer. I know this is being tested in Zone 4, but mine did not bloom. I think next year will be the true test. They appear to be setting up a healthy number of leave buds already this late fall.

My experience, so far, is they love the sun, do not scorch as easily as Endless Summer, and need less water than say Annabelle or Endless Summer. And, I think they might possibly be pretty heavy feeder as to fertilizers. The leaves are a nicer green, if that counts...
Herb

Rock Rose

Post by Herb »

I got fed up with our first Rockrose (Cistus) because it kept growing much too big for the spot where I'd planted it.

So, in September, I dug it up & replaced it with one that the nursery people said would grow no more that 18 to 24 inches high, and maybe 3 feet wide. They told me it would flower later than the one I'd dug up.

They were right about that - it's now mid November & I took this picture of a flower on it 2 days ago. Its flowers are smaller than many Rockroses - not much bigger than a 25c piece.

But we can't remember the name of the variety. Can anybody identify it?

Herb
Attachments
Rock Rose Nov 07sm.JPG
Rock Rose Nov 07sm.JPG (23.56 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Den

Post by Den »

A few new additions to the garden in 2007 are as follows : Franklinia alatamaha , Cornus walteri , Magnolia kobus , Hyrangea quercifolia ' Little Honey ' , Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane' , Abelia mosanensis , Parrotia persica , and more Sassafras albidum .
New Topic Post Reply