Fernleaf Buckthorn

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Fernleaf Buckthorn

Post by LucyGoose »

Asplenifolia to be exact. Does anyone know if it is one buckthorn that is invasive? I was reading elsewhere tha someone was worried about that and others wer not *sure, but said not to plant to be safe.......I am like great! I have that fropm a year ago or two.....and I remember Wayne from Gardens on the Prairie telling us not to go deep......well where I have it, it isn't doing that good......some branches dies and I have cut them off, but now I want to move it........OR NOW do I want to pitch it?? :lol:

Thanks as always....... :cool:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lucygoose,

The species is considered a weed but the cultivars like this one are thought to be okay to grow and less invasive.

The dieback sounds like a fungus problem as buckthorn should be very easy to grow in almost any soil and it is very cold hardy. I would recommend using some clean pruners to cut off any dead wood, preferably back into any green parts, then treat with a broad spectrum fungicide. I might even repeat treatment after a few weeks or alternate to another fungicide for the second treatment.

I would keep it, but if later you get a ton of berries on it I would rethink it as the birds might scatter those all over the place.

Hope that helps.

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:wink: Thanks! I already did cut off the dead, and I really don't remember berries? :hmm: BUT, where it is......I don't see it.....:lol:
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I have several of these plants and they are very desirable , you will love it. they do like it in the sun and grow really big, 15 ft in full sun, I have several in the shade and they are much smaller. Rhamnus frangula Asplenifolia Fern Leaf Buckthorn
Lucille
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Lucille!

Do you have any picture's? Thanks! :P
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

I've had one too for 3 years. Seems very slow to grow, has never bloomed, let alone set fruit of any kind. The deer buckthorn (local vernacular) has a rounded leaf versus the threadleaf and loads of black berries that the birds scatter and seem to germinate very quickly, without it appears stratification. I have not seen one much larger than 8'.
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Hi Lucy Goose
Here is a picture taken at a friends house, same age as mine but theirs grew much faster than mine, this one is about 10 feet tall and mine is about 6 or 7 feet. I will take a picture of mine tomorrow.
Attachments
Fern-Leaf Buckthorn.jpg
Lucille
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o WOW!
New Topic Post Reply