Looking for a Small-ish Shrub . . .

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Looking for a Small-ish Shrub . . .

Post by JaneG »

I'm looking for a small-ish shrub. Something that grows to about 3-4 feet high and wide, without much pruning. It's for an area that's about 60/40 shade/sun. It's where the path intersects so it will be seen a lot, so I'd like something that blooms or is otherwise particularly interesting or attractive.

I have thought about a hydrangea, but everything I have, Annabelle and others, are big and "floppy". If you know of a hydrangea that stays a little smaller or tidier, that might be good.

The shrub will be the main plant in this little part of the walkway, but I will be putting companion plants with it, so if you have a combo you love, tell me about it.

Thanks!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Jane!

If I recall... you like yellow! :lol:

You might consider one of these:

Cypress Hinoki 'Golden' (Chameacyparis Obtusa 'Aurea')

My neighbor just planted on and it is lovely. It would certainly it your size requirements, is low maintenance and will provide year round interest. Check the info on this site http://www.girardnurseries.com/Cypress- ... glda08.htm

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Gruntfuttock

Re: Looking for a Small-ish Shrub . . .

Post by Gruntfuttock »

How about a hebe? There are so many varieties, sizes and colours, and they flower all year round here.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Daphne? A variegated hydranga?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I guess we all missed this earlier!

One of my favorites for mostly shade is Kerria japonica 'Picta'. It is nicely variegated with yellow flowers in the spring. It might need a little thinning if it likes where it is at because it can run somewhat, but it doesn't get very tall and is pretty carefree.

Some Weigela stay pretty small, even without pruning, and they also do really well in part shade. I'm growing Wine and Roses and it has stayed really compact, but is supposed to get about 4' tall and wide.

And then I'm growing some double mockorange that have stayed nice and compact, but I have to fess up, I do shape them hard in the spring, but that's about it.

One tip about the Annabelle hydrangea is to cut them flush to the ground in early spring. Since they bloom on new growth this is one species of hydrangea that you can safely cut down without affecting their flowering. Also by cutting them down you reduce their flopping habit but will also produce much larger flowers. I've cut them back in mid May and still had fantastic blooms in the summer.

Hope that helps give you a couple more ideas ;)

Chris
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks for the ideas, I may use some of them in other parts of this bed. I googled all your suggestions and there are some nice ones! For this particular spot I found an Oakleaf Hydrangea. I have wanted one of these for a loooong time. The variety I got is Snow Queen. The tag says it's a slow grower and the mature size isn't really big, so I'm hoping it works out here.

Thanks all!!
JaneG
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Jane, H. 'Snow Queen' is my absolute fav shrub. Great leaf, flower, fall color, winter interest!
HOWEVER, They lied about the size :eek: . Mine is about 7'x7' after aprox 10 yrs.
There is a smaller version called Pee wee. Only 3x3.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks OED! I'm glad to hear you like this one. I'll keep an eye on mine and try to keep it trimmed as best I can. Who knows, in 10 years things may have changed enough that a big shrub will be okay in this spot. You never know how the gardens will change. :D
JaneG
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

I would go for the king of the garden The Rhody one of the smaller cultivars would be great,and make a statement.
New Topic Post Reply