Japanese Yews or Japanese Euonymus

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

C Marc Ritcher
USDA Zone: 5b

Japanese Yews or Japanese Euonymus

Post by C Marc Ritcher »

I live in 5b planting zone in Utah, were the winters are normally harsh and the summers are hot and dry. I have a long, narrow garden bed along the side of my concrete driveway that currently holds a dozen rose bushes. I am not a fan of roses and am looking to replace them with either Japanese Yews or Euonymus plants. Any suggestions on which way to go? I want the area to eventually develop into an evergreen hedge.

Which plant is hardier? Which is a quicker growing plant?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Japanese Yews or Japanese Euonymus

Post by Chris_W »

Hi and welcome to the forums. From what you are asking, I would go with Yews. Although a lot of people may not like them they are easy to shape and shear into a hedge and are fairly fast growing and hardy. I'm not a fan of euonymus, it tends to grow unevenly and can suffer from winter damage and different diseases, so if it was up to me I'd go with yews.
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Welcome! I'm right next door to ya in Springville. As for the question I haven't grown either so I'm no help. I like the look of the Yews better though. Good luck.
Owen
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Hello, Marc, and welcome!

How narrow is the bed? I was thinking that a boxwood hedge might fit the bill, too. Or a holly, even. But I'd plant yews instead of euonymus, as Chris mentioned.

Kevin in KC
Midnight Reiter

Post by Midnight Reiter »

I haven't had any luck with any type of euynomous. Manhattan euynomous was eaten up by caterpillars and the E. fortunei Emerald Gaiety was just covered in aphids. I was fed up and got rid of both! The yews need to be watered when it's dry. We lost some of ours that I had for five years. They didn't get enough water.

Is there something drought tolerant that you like?
I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers.
~Robert Brault

New Topic Post Reply