Dang snow crushed our production shade house :(

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Dang snow crushed our production shade house :(

Post by Chris_W »

About 2pm this afternoon I told Brian that we should go out to try and knock some of the snow off the greenhouses and it turned out we were too late. Our largest structure was already flat on the ground with the ground poles all sheared off at ground level. It is 60 feet long with posts every 4 feet so that is 32 posts that will need to be fixed, plus the entire structure will have to be rebuilt which took us a week to put up originally. In reality I'm glad we weren't near it when it collapsed. The amount of snow we had by 2pm actually shocked me because we already had over a foot of new snow when that was all we were expected to get total! We were able to remove the snow from the other 4 structures and will have to do it again tomorrow I think. So our first major spring project will be to rebuild what we call our transition house. Hopefully the majority of the structure is undamaged and we'll just need some new ground stakes. And we'll have to come up with a way to easily remove the shade fabric for the winter time - we had attached the fabric semi-permanently, which turned out to be a big mistake :(

Oh well, you live and you learn, though I cannot remember the last time we've had this much snow in one single day.
LucyGoose

Re: Dang snow crushed our production shade house :(

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh nooooo....Glad you guys weren't hurt, too....like if you were trying to remove it and it collapsed.....Our old unattached garage has lots too, and Jay said earlier today wonder if it is going to hold it....Tomorrow is the day with minus wind chills of like 40-50 below....Hang in there Chris!!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sure hope your garage stays up, Lucygoose.

In the spring after all this snow melts we'll assess the damage. Hopefully we don't need to involve the insurance and can fix it cheaply ourselves.

I wonder if we'll be hearing reports in the news about roof problems with all this snow. They now say we could see 17 inches of the stuff from this one storm, on top of the snow we had two days ago.

Stay safe everyone!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:evil: Stupid winter weather! It's been a doozy already, and there are still many weeks to go! Glad you were not out there when it went down, and hope it isn't too big a fix in the spring. Still, all that work....................... :bawl:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sad,, but glad none of you got hurt, snow can be so dangerous.
Your wild weather is all over my newspapers. may be due to our lack ...knocking under Wood - of Winther, so if you get tired of snow and need to see green, just come, i have tons of weeds :evil:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, I cannot imagine weeds at this point. I can barely remember what they look like. :lol: :lol:
It's been white, white, white here for weeks, and will be for quite a while. And SOOOO cold. :frosty:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

So far it's still standing...and guess what....by the weekend....rain!?!?!?!
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I'm so sorry! I hate this weather! I'm glad you guys were O.K. though.
Hugs to you both and I'm sure you will find a way to make it even better!
Bonnie
New Topic Post Reply