A Garden Visitor

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

A Garden Visitor

Post by jgh »

A rare visitor to our yard joined with a bird sculpture carved with a machete by Melvin Bodden in Honduras to create a little moment of yin-yang...

The Great Egret has the nickname “The Angelbird” because sometimes it flies in a buoyant, almost bouncy manner… like it is nearly weightless… and perches on the thinnest of branches high in trees. Their long white back feathers were so prized for hats near the end of the 19th century that they were almost hunted to extinction in many areas. The original Audubon Society was founded to protect these birds endangered by a feather trade that made the feathers worth twice the price of gold by weight.

This guy thrilled us by coming down and perching on the roof of our garage, then gliding down to our railroad tie “fence” to pose with our sculpture during a public garden tour of Harbor Lane Gardens

We were less thrilled two days later when we found him standing in our 3’x4’ rectangular deck pool, eating our goldfish! We think he only got one – but the rest of them continue to show odd and frenzied behaviors a week after the attack.

(a glimpse of martagons in the lower right...)

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: A Garden Visitor

Post by Tigger »

Fun photo!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That would be quite a surprise! It was nice of him to pose by the sculpture, but apparently he wasn't well-mannered enough to decline the sushi.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

What a beauty... and if he only took one , he was either well behaved or the goldfish didn't taste well enough
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
vpeterson
USDA Zone: 4-MN

Post by vpeterson »

Beautiful bird. I love the picture of the two of them together. Jim- I sent an email to your harbor lanes address. Vicky
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Jim -- what a great pic. That is real photographic serendipity, for sure! I've never seen an Egret land in a garden, unless there was a lake there too. Guess he thought that the fishpond was good enough hunting to make it worth a return trip. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply