Lawn help, please!

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Midnight Reiter

Lawn help, please!

Post by Midnight Reiter »

I now have to rely on my granddaughter's boyfriend to mow my lawn. He tried to tell me that it's okay to mow when the lawn is wet. I looked it up online while he was mowing and told him it isn't okay. Then there were clumps of cut grass all over the place, clippings in all the flowerbeds, and the concrete driveway and patio had to be swept. I won't be able to do that when the summer heat arrives.

I paid $100 dollars for tilling. It was a big job. So I can't put seed down without making the soil fairly level, right? And don't I need to get the clumps out, too?
I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers.
~Robert Brault

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Lawn help, please!

Post by kHT »

OH my, sounds like a male that hates lawn work to me. First, I have to mow when the grass is wet and if you do it right it just makes the mower heavy and you have a big job cleaning up the mower. Ya might tell him to bag it if he can't keep the grass from flying?

Okay, on the last question. Did you do the whole yard with the tilling? If you did, ya know you don't have to till but you can round up the grass and replant.
If you did till, rake it the best you can to try to level and then seed, try to stay off the soil as much as you can until the yard is reestablished.
We kill our yard in the fall and make sure the seed is down for here no later than Sept. 1. All we do is spray round up, wait a week, spray again to make sure
you have all the grass dead and 24 hours later seed goes down.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Midnight Reiter

There is a somewhat large area way at the back pf the yard, that was a mound covered with mostly weeds and a little grass. I paid my granddaughter's BF to till because I can't and he needs the money. He's just a college kid and he works very hard but I don't think his parents have taught him the fine art of gardening. He did as I asked and flattened it out quite a bit. Do I rent a roller, or pay a professional to turn it into an area that can be mowed? Do I remove those clumps?

I know that your climate forces you to mow wet grass. Ours dries out by about 11:00 AM. Anyway, it dulls the blades and stresses the mower engine to cut wet grass. And I'm on a limited income.
~Robert Brault

Midnight Reiter

I still have lawn questions but my thread doesn't seem to generate much interest. How do I kill the grass under young trees and shrubs without also killing the plants? PLEASE!
~Robert Brault

New Topic Post Reply