ARGH! Computers and Dumb User

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Midnight Reiter

ARGH! Computers and Dumb User

Post by Midnight Reiter »

My computer is so screwed up! I lost my taskbar and can't find my favorites. I hope my daughter can fix this thing tonight. :???:
I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers.
~Robert Brault

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: ARGH! Computers and Dumb User

Post by kHT »

It's not lost, it's just hiding from ya. I'm sure your daughter will locate it. What is your operating system? If you use google the the right had three
bars is where you will find your bookmarks and you can customize it there.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Been there, done that!!Karma is right, it is there s somewhere. Computers are sort of like cats:You think you are the boss, but they secretly have a mind of their own, and sometimes isnore you altogether!! :D
Lovin' the great northwest!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I lost mine the other day, then did a reboot and it appeared out of nowhere. I wonder if computer brains act like human brains and forget where they put things when they get old. :lol:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Midnight Reiter

She fixed part of it. The next time she comes over I'll try to explain what's still missing. :hmm: I just don't get this stuff.
~Robert Brault

Wind_Dancer

Post by Wind_Dancer »

Hello, new here to the Forum. I had registered several years ago but wasn't able to spend much time here.

I had the same problem with having lost a tool bar. I'm using IE version 8, on an XP Pro platform. Maybe this will help. Click on any of the toolbar areas that do show, and make sure that "Menu Bar" is checked. If it's not, check it. This solved my problem.

I've noticed strange happenings since Mother's Day. Over the years I've also noticed that holidays typically are accompanied by site outages, slower computer processing, and settings changing without any intervention on my part.

Hope this helps, or perhaps you've already solved the problem.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Holly Crow I thought it was just me!! My computer has been doing strange things on it's own too, but I figured I had hit the stupid button again. But I ended up with a monster paper jam!! It's always something!!!
Lovin' the great northwest!
Midnight Reiter

Wind_Dancer wrote:Hello, new here to the Forum. I had registered several years ago but wasn't able to spend much time here.

I had the same problem with having lost a tool bar. I'm using IE version 8, on an XP Pro platform. Maybe this will help. Click on any of the toolbar areas that do show, and make sure that "Menu Bar" is checked. If it's not, check it. This solved my problem.

I've noticed strange happenings since Mother's Day. Over the years I've also noticed that holidays typically are accompanied by site outages, slower computer processing, and settings changing without any intervention on my part.

Hope this helps, or perhaps you've already solved the problem.

You know a lot more than I do! "I'm using IE version 8, on an XP Pro platform" is GREEK to me. However, my daughter fixed everything yesterday.
~Robert Brault

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

When in doubt, call tech support!! I spent a couple hours on the phone last night with tech support doing the wireless dance. Got to love those folks, not all folks are computer savvy and I just love the gal I got last night, she kept telling me search is in the upper right hand corner!! It's okay...... my search is in the lower left hand corner, so we did the two step for a while until they found the problem. One should tell the folks that hand you equipment and tell you to go play, that isn't a wise move!! My first computer I had just a few hours and a friend had to call tech support to see what I did to it, freezing up isn't a good thing!! Same for cell phones and thank goodness they can be rebooted too! My DH has taken all the tools away due to my taking stuff apart. :lol: I love to play!! :lol: Ya can also find lots of information and directions on net!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Midnight Reiter

kHT wrote:When in doubt, call tech support!! I spent a couple hours on the phone last night with tech support doing the wireless dance. Got to love those folks, not all folks are computer savvy and I just love the gal I got last night, she kept telling me search is in the upper right hand corner!! It's okay...... my search is in the lower left hand corner, so we did the two step for a while until they found the problem. One should tell the folks that hand you equipment and tell you to go play, that isn't a wise move!! My first computer I had just a few hours and a friend had to call tech support to see what I did to it, freezing up isn't a good thing!! Same for cell phones and thank goodness they can be rebooted too! My DH has taken all the tools away due to my taking stuff apart. :lol: I love to play!! :lol: Ya can also find lots of information and directions on net!!

Yeah, but you have to know who to call, what questions to ask, and what each doohickey is called! :eek: The only thing I can do with my cell phone is call someone, answer it if I hear it, and recharge it once a week.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have the same problems with computers that MR has...and with tech support too. Luckily I have a SIL who is fairly computer savvy, so he's the one I end up calling.
I have a love/hate relationship with my computer. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply