Checking In

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Checking In

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi everyone -- It's been so long since I posted pics that I almost forgot how to do it. However, I think I can get them onto this thread. I wanted you to see the grass and flowers on my slope to the west of the house. Remember two years ago when we moved in and had torrential rains, which washed half of our real estate down onto the street below? Well, this is what we have now. It's full of butterflies, and has more flowers blooming daily. It is wild, wild, wild, but I love it. One of the pics is of the slope and the other is a closeup of some of the blue vervain that's beginning to bloom there.
The other two pics are of my hostas in the front of my house. One is a single hosta-- one of my registered seedlings, called "Prairie Lightning". The other is of a group, of which two are my registered seedlings: Louis XIV, the big gold one in the back right, and Stormcloud, the very dark green one in front of it. To the left at the back is Liberty, and grouped around it are Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Kisuji, Fire and Ice and June. These hostas were all brought over in pots from our old house, and planted out at the beginning of August, 2011. They have really taken off this year -- more photos coming another day. Phyllis
Attachments
The wildflower slope -- goldenrod are about to start blooming.
The wildflower slope -- goldenrod are about to start blooming.
Blue vervain, with flowers in background.
Blue vervain, with flowers in background.
Prairie Lightning
Prairie Lightning
Liberty, Stormcloud and Louis XIV, surrounded by Kisuji and Pineapple upsidedown cake on the left, and Fire and Ice and June on the right.
Liberty, Stormcloud and Louis XIV, surrounded by Kisuji and Pineapple upsidedown cake on the left, and Fire and Ice and June on the right.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Checking In

Post by Tigger »

Very nice, Phyllis. I'm glad to see you got a true native seed mix going, instead of the "wildflower" seed mixes that are full of non-native plants. We were so lucky to have a natural wildflower prairie with only a few non-native thugs (a Chinese lespedeza, most notably) on our property. But it's very tall!

I really like Prairie Lightning!

David
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Hi Phyllis, plants look like they are settling in nicely. How much sun can Prairie Lightning take? Thanks in Advance.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Great pics Phylis, thanks for sharing them! I like your wild area, you are really helping out the natives to help you in return. We have a Wild Ones group here, and all of their yards look like that with no grass at all. I think they have a web page if you want to check them out, good info on it. H. Prairie Lightning is a very nice plant, I like the coloring.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Your wildflower slope has really filled in quickly! The blue vervain is a favorite of mine. I noticed it was blooming around here and is as pretty as I've ever seen it. Your hostas are also looking right at home. So good to see all your hard work paying off.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Looks great! That Prairie Lightning is a beauty!
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Hi Phyllis! Your wildflower slope is beautiful. Love it! :D Your registered seedlings look great! :cool: Thanks for sharing them.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Beautiful wildflower area and Prarie lightning have great colors :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply