Weather

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rosemarie

Weather

Post by rosemarie »

Hey, Karma and Carol, did you finally get out of the fog? jeez,I thought it was going to last for ever! would like a little more rain!! Well what I would really like is Spring, but ,ya' know that isn't going to happen for awhile!! But meanwhile I will try to learn to use my new camera. :hmm:
Lovin' the great northwest!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Weather

Post by Tigger »

Speaking of weather, we're having our first low temperatures per our climate zone in 15 years. (Predicting 2 F tonight, when we haven't passed 8 F since we moved here.) I haven't been doing much "Zone denial" gardening, but I still hope everything is o.k. At least it's all under a good blanket of snow.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Rosemarie, we saw 15 minutes of sunshine before the fog rolled back in and got a little rain over night. The ice was bad yesterday morning, it's what I don't like when I have errands to run. But we shouldn't complain due to what the east coast folks are getting, right? I sure they can tell us just how cold...... cold is! Tigger I hear ya on the zone denial
and hope all your plants do okay. Don't laugh but I had to kick the temps up to 70 in both greenhouses due to our little snap of cold and so glad the two birds of paradise are spending winter in the house. They aren't happy but I just couldn't get them into either greenhouse, just way to big!! :lol:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Our high for Monday is predicted to be -13, with a low somewhere around -20 something. That's a little too cold for me. We're trying to get out of here to head for Texas but have to wait for the cold to moderate a little. We've had snow on the ground for over a month, and it's pretty deep in places. We've had a lot of drifting and all of the people who operate the snowplows have been putting in a lot of overtime.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I hear you about zone denial. When the USDA recently updated their zone maps and bumped a lot of people up I wondered how long it would last before people got colder again. We stayed in zone 5 on the new maps but some areas east and west of us in Michigan were moved up to zone 6. I've really tried to stick with zone 5 or better plants here at the nursery and I think the only plant I might be pushing (or testing really) is the Coreopsis Mercury Rising. We'll see how it comes through this, though if it dies we won't know if it was the cold or the tons of snow melting in the spring that did it in.

Stay warm everyone!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Afternoon, sun shining, and it is -3 degrees ?!? I was thinking about walking down to the corner store because the truck is snowed in and it would take less time to walk there than to dig out the truck, so decided to check the temp. I think I'll stay put for now :lol:
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

We never got below 5 the other night, and we shouldn't get below that tonight either. That keeps us in line with the 2012 USDA zone 7b. Still, it could be the coldest we've seen since moving here. I can't quite fathom why, but they've cancelled schools here tomorrow.

However, the bizarre warm temps with rain last night and today wiped away our snow blanket. :(

My thoughts are with you all in the truly frigid parts of the country.

David
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

The Governor cancelled school for the entire state yesterday, and the schools voluntarily kept it up for today as well. There is no standing outside waiting for a school bus when the temp is at 21 below, and the wind chill makes it minus 35! We were comparatively warm here, however -- northern MN was down to 60 below wind chill. This is beyond belief, but one has only to go outside to become an instant believer. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply