Welcome to spring in MN

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Welcome to spring in MN

Post by GrannyNanny »

Just as a little divergence from Jim's wonderful safari with us through Tanzania, here is what we woke up to this morning. We only got about 3-4 inches; sixty miles north of us it was 17-19 inches, and at Duluth -- on the shores of Lake Superior -- it was over 20! Most of our snow melted today, and temps are predicted to go into the 60's and 70's by Easter Sunday. I'll believe it when I see it. One month from today is our garden club's plant sale, and nothing is yet above ground! We may be selling pots full of dirt and roots! Bah, Humbug! Phyllis
Attachments
One week before Easter - sheesh!!!
One week before Easter - sheesh!!!
Web-4-16-Deck-with-snow.jpg (102.47 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Linda P

Re: Welcome to spring in MN

Post by Linda P »

That is just not nice! I hope this is the last gasp of winter. We had a little snow Monday morning here, but it was gone by noon or so. It's been a chilly, windy, raw week, and I'm ready for some better weather.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

GN, sending you some of our sunshine but hate to say this a cold front will follow it. It appears
we will have a week of rain, don't get me wrong it's welcome since we are a half inch behind from
last year. Think Spring!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
jgh

Post by jgh »

I think we can officially call it Spring!

I got out in the garden for the first time yesterday... just raking leaves off the beds and pulling some Creeping Charlie when I find it... and I found lots of hosta eyes emerging on my south-facing slope. Didn't realize how much I've been missing it!

Also Sunday saw the melting of the ice blockage in the main water line to our house - frozen out somewhere under the driveway or street since early March! We've had limited water from a friendly neighbor's hose... plumber comes tomorrow to do some repairs and we might be able to wash clothes and take a shower by mid-day. Hallelujah!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jim, it's a good thing you and Sheila are seasoned campers! Glad to hear that plumbing is back in your lives, and that your garden has survived the winter.
I just came home from a whirlwind trip (wind being the key word here) to Burnsville MN for granddaughter's christening over weekend. I got out of the car to
fill up with gas just before we left town. It was 39 degrees mid-afternoon, and the wind howling out of the east surely made the wind chill somewhere around the teens.

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

yup... watched your journey on Facebook while I huddled up by the woodstove. I haven't gotten back out to the garden since the previous post...
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I've still not made it back out to the garden, except to walk around for a brief period between rain showers. Two more days of this on tap, and perhaps the sun will make a return engagement.

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

spent an hour with the rake today... great feeling!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I've been down with the Virus from Hell since a week ago today, and am still not over it. I went outside yesterday for a brief period to move my potted hostas (for the garden club sale) onto the deck, where they will be safe from the marauding bunnies, who have been making a salad bar out of the nubbins that are just beginning to come out of the ground out in the garden. When I got inside I was exhausted, so in today's lovely weather I had to stay inside. It made me SO disgusted -- all that sunshine and all that work to do, and there I was, inside the house! I'm hoping for a brief time out there tomorrow --have lots more hostas to dig and pot.
Jim, glad to hear you're active in the garden once more. Phyllis
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I hope you get over the bug, Phyllis.....you surly do not need that...
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have not been on here for ages, but Phyllis you crossed my mind and I needed to come on here and see how you are. I hope you are over your virus. When things cross my mind I try to pay attention and follow up. One just never knows. Wishing you well, Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply