Health Update

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Health Update

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi Hallsons friends -- I've been absent from this forum for a few weeks -- life has just been too busy for me to sit down and visit online. However, I've had a few requests for a health update, so here it is. Basically, I feel great! Some of you know that since December I've been on a new, targeted cancer drug called Kadcyla, which zeros in on cancer cells but leaves all the rest of the fast-growing cells (skin, mouth, nose, hair, etc) alone. I've had very few side effects, except for increased aching in muscles and joints, and a very dry mouth and teary eyes. Nothing I couldn't deal with, however -- I still have my hair, so that was a big plus! The last scan showed no new cancer activity, and the tumor marker that rose starting in December, and which was the impetus for my going on the Kadcyla, is on its way down. SO -- I'm off any kind of cancer treatment for the summer, and if a scan in the fall shows the same as the last one, I'll be off it for awhile more. I have no illusions about being "cured" -- generally, stage 4 cancer doesn't get cured, but rather tends to keep coming back over and over again, so it's more like a chronic disease such as diabetes, heart condition or arthritis, and must be "managed" rather than cured. I am having great fun in the garden, and as the effects of the Kadcyla begin to wear away, I'm hoping I'll ache less. I have arthritis too, however, so how much of the aching is due to the meds and how much to the arthritis remains to be seen.
Those of you who asked about me, thanks for your concern and for sticking with me for -- are you ready for this? -- SEVEN years of off and on cancer treatment. Through it all you have been wonderful, and I thank you. Love to you all, Phyllis
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Health Update

Post by kHT »

Thank you GN for the update and for all the time you have taken to educate on your battle with cancer. Love ya and
keep gardening.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Read and rejoiced. Stay well!

David
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Good to hear you are all in all feeling good :-)
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks for checking in. So glad to hear things are going so well for you.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
jgh

Post by jgh »

Such a treat to find your note! Happy Gardening!
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

It's the gardening that is helping GN!'Keep on gardening' and send us some pix! (Remember "Keep on truckin'." Jeez, how long ago was that?)
Lovin' the great northwest!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Rejoicing too! Seven years. That doesn't seem possible!
Here's to a great summer in the garden! :beer:

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Hard to believe it has been 7 years! Glad things are going well!
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Its been forever since I have been to the forum, but I am so happy to hear you are doing well GN :beer: And also so glad to see all the familiar names still on here!
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

I have been checking back here occasionally to see if you have posted an update, and was beginning to worry....
Your update is wonderful news, Phyllis! So much is happening in cancer research and to be able to target just those bad cells is incredible. Seven years already? Wow. I'm five years out now, but I was only dealing with stage 2, and a more easily treatable form of breast cancer. You are a shining beacon of hope. Thank you.

-Diana
char
USDA Zone: 5

Post by char »

You are an awesome lady.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I too, am so glad to hear this Phyllis!! Your the bomb!! I am so happy for you!! I hope you ache less, and less each day....(((HUGS)))
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Thanks, all you wonderful "seedy friends", for all your support and good wishes. I'm feeling great -- except that I tripped on the hose yesterday and took a header, landing right on my left knee, so I am limping and gimping around the house today and not doing ANY gardening! Be careful around those garden hoses, folks -- they have a mind and a life of their own!!!
The rain has been good for my woods and gardens, although bad for a lot of folks around here. We had four plus inches within 24 hours the other day -- in addition to about 12 inches more before and after -- the most moisture we've EVER had here since records have been kept! Farmers are seeing newly planted seeds rotting in the fields, and the rivers are over their banks in many places. What a crazy weather year! Phyllis
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

So happy to read things are well for you Phyllis! Hard to believe it has been 7 yrs. :beer:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply