Heuchera seedings

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Heuchera seedings

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi Seedy Friends! I have heuchera seedlings up about a half inch down under my basement lights. I am also trying desperately to nick the seed coat on canna seeds, but it is impervious to everything I've tried. (sandpaper, wire cutters, etc -- also hammer, but that split the things in two, accomplishing nothing in the way of producing a viable seed! I don't NEED to grow these things from seed --- I have several grocery bags full of corms/roots/??? from this past summer's growing season -- but I thought it would be fun. With cannas, you don't get the same color you planted -- sort of like hostas -- and that's the adventuresome part of it. So, if anyone has a suggestion of how to get through this iron-clad seed coat, please respond. ( I really don't see how these things could ever reproduce themselves from seed without outside help!!!) thanks -- Phyllis
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Heuchera seedings

Post by kHT »

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/growi ... -seed.html
Hope this links helps you GN. I have tried it with a little luck, the huge clippers really helped. I wish you luck.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

KHT -- I have tried everything, and got only two seeds that I could crack the coatings on. I can't find a nail clipper that widens far enough to get enough of the seed inside. Right now I have the two that I cracked wrapped in wet towels and plastic, under the lights, which keeps them at about 70 degrees F. The rest are soaking in water -- I'm hoping that by March they may split on their own!
Meanwhile, about eight heuchera seedlings are growing apace, also under lights. I love growing these things because they will be big enough for me to put outside in the garden by the time May comes around. But the cannas? Anyone's guess! Phyllis
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

GN, I have even tried to gently file and area and then soaked in 1/2 rubbing alcohol 1/2 water, which I use for my brug seeds too. Only do this for 24 to 48 hours. Wishing you the best with these.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

the heuchera seedlings are about 6" tall, and thriving. The canna seeds???? NO! I finally gave up on them; couldn't get those pods cracked no matter how I tried, so I quit and concentrated on the bags of roots I dug up in the fall. I'm now putting them into pots, so I'll have something to show for it when the garden club plant sale rolls around. If anyone ever finds out how to get those canna seeds open, I may try again. Phyllis
Photos of heucheras to follow after this weekend.
New Topic Post Reply