Idiots Walk in Beauty Ep13 Natural Bridges &Monument Valley

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Idiots Walk in Beauty Ep13 Natural Bridges &Monument Valley

Post by jgh »

Idiots Walk in Beauty Ep 13 Natural Bridges & Monument Valley

It’s long past time to finish up the Idiot journey in September-October, 2017… so this is the wrap.
---------------------------------------------

An evening walk down a country road near Escalante, Utah… a cloudy sunset and a clouds scudding across the half moon.

--------------------------------------------

Natural Bridges National Monument is a small park, many miles from any of the commonly used routes across the country. The Idiots arrived in late afternoon and found the tiny campground full. The only alternative was to drive many miles out to park on an abandoned airstrip near the highway.

Natural bridges are formed where rivers have cut oxbow curves into sandstone and then the water cuts through the cliff. These are not to be confused with natural arches, which are formed on top of cliffs by wind erosion.

Natural Bridges NM protects three magnificent bridges. It’s a low-key kind of place. A one-way loop road takes visitors to viewpoints and trails to more viewpoints. It’s well worth a visit, if a bit underwhelming.

---------------------------------------------------

In contrast to the seldom-visited Natural Bridges, Monument Valley is embedded in the American psyche.

In 1939, John Ford used the iconic buttes of Navajo sandstone as the backdrop for the movie Stagecoach and in a matter of months, Monument Valley became the picture that came to millions of people’s minds when they thought of “The West.” Since that time, at film crews have repeated Ford’s pilgrimage to film scenes there… including 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Eiger Sanction, Forrest Gump, Mission Impossible 2. Even animated movies have drawn on the landscape, including Cars and The Lego Movie. Many tv series have also relied on the stark beauty of Monument Valley. Even Doctor Who made his way there in 2011!

Monument Valley is in the Four Corners area and is part of the Navajo Nation. All tourism in the valley is controlled by the Navajo. The Idiots drove the rustic road through he valley many years ago. This time they were content to spend the night at a campground on the main highway and to watch the sunset, the moonrise, and the sunset. Though it took them three more days to get to their home in Green Valley, the Idiots will end their journal with these shots.

Zigzag cliffs near Mexican Hat, Utah

Afternoon light makes the “monuments” glow.

The first photo captures the twin buttes known as “The Mittens”. If those are mittens, then readers can choose their own name for the butte in the second photo.

The sun sets and the moon rises…

Sunrise vista through the rear window of the Beast. Lovely… but it’s time to head home!

Since this journal ends in the heart of Navajo country, it seems fitting to end these reflections on beauty as they started - with the Navajo Prayer/Blessing/Way

-----------------------------------

The Navajo Beauty Way Blessing

Today I will walk out, today everything negative will leave me
I will be as I was before, I will have a cool breeze over my body.
I will have a light body, I will be happy forever,
Nothing will hinder me.

I walk with beauty before me. I walk with beauty behind me.
I walk with beauty below me. I walk with beauty above me.
I walk with beauty around me.
My words will be beautiful.

In beauty all day long may I walk.
Through the returning seasons, may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With dew about my feet, may I walk.
With beauty before me may I walk.
With beauty behind me may I walk.
With beauty below me may I walk.
With beauty above me may I walk.
With beauty all around me may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty,
lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty,
living again, may I walk.
My words will be beautiful.

---------------------------------------------
-------
LucyGoose

Re: Idiots Walk in Beauty Ep13 Natural Bridges &Monument Val

Post by LucyGoose »

♥♥ Loved it!!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Idiots Walk in Beauty Ep13 Natural Bridges &Monument Val

Post by kHT »

Love the last photo and the message in the rear window!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply