Idiots On Shore Ep 3 Snorkeling Roatan 2018

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Idiots On Shore Ep 3 Snorkeling Roatan 2018

Post by jgh »

Idiots On Shore Ep 3 On the Reef Roatan 2018

The Idiots have rhapsodized on the joys of snorkeling the coral reef off Roatan so often… so no lengthy descriptions this time - just a few shots from their first snorkel of the trip. They saw a nice variety of sea life for a Tuesday snorkel. The Idiots typically try to snorkel on weekends, because during the week a lot of the fish are in schools. (insert rimshot!)

Always lovely to start a swim with a friendly wave from a passing mermaid…

Corals form structures called “heads” and the complex structure results in all kinds of algae, plants, and animals coming together to make “feeding stations” where mixed populations of fish gather.

For beauty and variety, it’s hard to beat the many types of parrotfish that are constant companions on West Bay Reef.

A few years ago the Idiots were riding along with a dive boat so they could snorkel in some deeper water while the divers were doing their thing. It was a noisy diesel engine, so Idiot He tried to shout over the noise to ask the captain where they were going. He was surprised at what seemed to be a very rude response. Confused, he asked again, and again the captain responded with a rude comment. Later… when the engine was off… Idiot He learned that the captain had not been calling him a rude name – he took them to WRASSE HOLE. Well then – never mind!

Idiot He has a special fondness for the little (3-4”) blue-headed wrasse. They are always on the move and hard to photograph… and one rarely sees many together as they tend to be quite territorial and aggressive toward their own kind.

Another variety of parrotfish…

The ocean-facing wall that is formed when the coral drops off to deeper water results in a barrier that nutrients carried in by the tide pile up on… and obvious place for schools of larger fish to congregate to feast off the bounty. Here a school of voracious sergeant majors convene. They are fearless of snorkelers because guides will “chum the water” with food to get better tips from the day visitors they take on group snorkels.

It’s not rare to see a queen angelfish – but always thrilling nonetheless! Note the “crown”…

Blue tangs make up the largest schools that populate West Bay Reef. They range through various hues of blue and also yellow.

The sharp-tailed eel is also apparently fairly common, but the Idiots had never seen one before. It looks and moves like a snake, in and out of the natural “caverns” formed by the coral. This one was about 4’ long.

The fish tend to get the most attention, but even if they disappeared, the endlessly-changing vistas of “coral gardens” would be enough to draw the Idiots back time after time.

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Idiots On Shore Ep 3 Snorkeling Roatan 2018

Post by Tigger »

Lovely. When we're in Curaçao I'm sure I spend more time with my face in the water than I do with my face in a cocktail :o Looks like Roatan's reefs have been safe from the bleaching that has hit other Caribbean climates.

Your pics make me want to post some of my own, but you're so much better at the stories...

David
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WRASSE HOLE. :lol: :lol:
jgh

Post by jgh »

Thanks for getting that, Lucy!
New Topic Post Reply