EEK, their coming up already!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Justme

EEK, their coming up already!

Post by Justme »

No, not the hosta babys, but my tulips! The tips are up and inch or two already. Being Indiana you just know that the mild (30's and 40's, occasional 50's) weather isn't going to last, basketball isn't finished yet! Yes, BB is a weather indicator here. Well, I guess this is yet another year without tulips :cry:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Not sure you have to vorry. Here the tulips do the same thing most years, the only trhing I have mentioned is a bit of curly leaf points, hope it will be the same for you :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Well we have had gorgeous sunshine for several days now. We started the back yard work. It has been freezing early in the morning, but by 11 it is sunny and warm enough to get out side. our weather is a little weird.( how has your weather been Karma?) I have my little green house full of things to go out in my trees, but I won't put things out for awhile, I am just happy to clean and spread bark dust. Every morning I check for things coming up. I have a couple of orders into Chris and I can hardly wait. I spend alot of time going through catalogues too. I love this time of year!!! :D
Lovin' the great northwest!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Oregon must be the only place in the world where there is 'bark dust'. My daughter in Portland has it blown into her yard each spring, and no one else ever mentioned it. What is it really? Why there?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Mary Ann, it is an Oregon and Washington thing I guess. I never heard it called Bark Dust until we moved up here from San Diego. Down there I don't even remember seelng it. But is does keep the weeds down and the moisture in and looks pretty.It is ground up Fir bark. Karma, do you use it?
Lovin' the great northwest!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey gang, been spending all my free time out in the 60 degree weather we have been having! Ro, it's been so nice here I have most of my yard work going full force but know it's still to early to pull the tropicals out of the greenhouse just yet. Last frost date is the 15th of April but by mid march we can safely do so if the animals keep doing what they are doing. We have Crows mating already! Bark Dust is fir chips and yes they do keep the weeds under control and the ground moist. I wonder why we need that as we live in what used to be an old river bed? It sure is heck to walk in and I hate it! Sure would be nice if they would deliver black compost out my way? To me that is prettier and better for the plants. :wink: We are seeing the eyes on the peonies and hostas so I'll be digging and dividing them shortly.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hi, Tami
I just noticed that my tulips and daffs are starting to come up too. We've been without snow cover here for most of the winter, but the temps have been very mild. I've had them come up early before, and they just sort of sit there and don't grow. By the time March Madness is over, (go Illini!!!) they'll be growing. Now, if we can only get through the next month, we'll be out there doing the things that rosemarie and Karma are doing right now! I guess I'll have to plant some more snowdrops next fall, as I don't see any sign of mine. I suppose the voles ate them or something. They seem to have decimated my crocus plantings over the last couple of years. I don't see any of them up yet either.
Nasty little critters!
Linda P
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:cool: Spent the whole day in the yard yesterday! We moved some of the shrubs we didn't have time to move in the fall and started to uncover the brug garden as one of the shrubs was in the center circle bed. Oh do I hurt this am, but it's a good hurtin'! Lots to do out back yet in getting the brug garden ready to plant in a month. We are looking at how the Germans plant with sinking a pot inside a pot this year. My family thinks I'm having way to much fun playing in the mud and dirt. :wink: You should of seen me yesterday! :lol:
Justme

Post by Justme »

It SNOWED yesterday :evil: . Two weeks ago it was in the 50's almost 60. Now it is in the teens and 30's tops. Might hit the 40's this weekend, depends on the weather man you listen to :???: . But, it would probably rain if it gets that warm :x :x :x . And I.U. sucks this year, and the Pacers (who were on track to get the title this year :evil: :evil: :evil: ) Can't even use B.B. as a tonic for the weather.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply