Need some favorite garden books for winter reading

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

H.Addicted

Need some favorite garden books for winter reading

Post by H.Addicted »

Hi everyone!
I hope this is the right forum to post this question! We are still in our beautiful fall weather, but living in Zone 4 Minnesota I know winter will be here before I know it! I've started making a list of gardening books to request from our library, and I would be interested in what is your favorite gardening book-either "how-to" or "general" or writings pertaining to gardening. Thanks for your help!
Brenda
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The American Horticultural Society "Encyclopedia of Gardening"
The American Horticultural Society "Encyclopedia of Garden Plants"
"Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" by Michael A. Dirr
Plant Propagation-principles and practices by Hudson T. Hartmann, Dale E Kester, Fred T. Davies, JR.
Thes are a few of my favs. I could go on forever. :roll:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Check out Tracy DeSabato-Aust's "The Well Tended Perennial Garden".
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

I second the book Mary Ann suggested! It is VERY useful throughout the growing season!
bloomsaplenty

Favorite Garden Books

Post by bloomsaplenty »

Lone Pine Publishers has a series of garden books for Minnesota and Wisconsin gardeners: Annuals for Minnesota and Wisconsin; Gardening Month by Month in M/W; Perennials for M/W; Tree and Shrub Gardening for M/W. Hope your library can locate one or all of these for you. Great color plates, and growing info for plants that will thrive in your locale. :)
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

I really enjoy reading and rereading the pair of books Continuous Color and Continuous Bloom by Pam Duthie. I also love Tracy DeSabato Aust's The Well-Designed Mixed Garden. Beautiful book!
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
H.Addicted

Post by H.Addicted »

Thanks everyone for your garden book suggestions. I've copied them all down and will head for the library when I get the chance! I'll think of you every time I open a book this winter!!
Brenda
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

And OC says

Post by oldcoot »

If you like Lilies, you have no better choice than Edward A. Mc Rae's book by that same name "LILIES" A guide for growers. It is the authority on growing Lilies of all kinds. OC's copy is dog-eared. It is the kind of book you will really enjoy..

Happy reading.............

That Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

ANY book by Ken Druse is worth reading :) He has a fantastic propagation book with wonderful photos, and it reads more like a novel than a "how to" book. He also wrote "The Collector's Garden", "The Natural Shade Garden", and a few more. Not only is the writing wonderful, the photographs are stunning.

Give his books a try, I think you'll like them!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
bloomsaplenty

Lily Book

Post by bloomsaplenty »

Glad to learn of this book - I have a lily loving gardener on my Christmas gift list. Thanks for the post, Old Coot.
janet

Post by janet »

Ditto the Ken Druse books Andi mentioned. I also have two stand-bys that I keep re-reading for basic design concepts and ideas. Both are by Jeff Cox.

The Perennial Garden, Color Harmonies through the Seasons

Landscaping with Nature, Using Nature's Designs to Plan your Yard
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'll give another nod to any book by Ken Druse. Do you have Diana Grenfell's new Color Encyclopedia of Hosta? The pictures in that one will green up your winter.
Here are a few of my favorites:
Perennials for American Gardens: Ruth Rogers Clausen and Nicolas H. Ekstrom
Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Perennials: Ellen Phillips & C. Colston Burrell
The American Garden Guides Perennial Gardening from the New York Botanical Garden, by Michael Ruggiero with Ruth Rogers Clausen
Perennial Combinations by C. Colston Burrell
Happy reading!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

I like looking through "The Collector's Garden" by Dan Hinkley... that's one of those "wishful thinking" books that I drool over also.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
New Topic Post Reply