Our yard is full of robins!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Our yard is full of robins!

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Poor fellows! I think they're confused. We're supposed to have freezing rain tomorrow.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Oddly, this is the first winter here that the robins stayed. Usually they are gone for at least a few weeks, but I have seen them all winter long.....

Global warming anyone?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

It may just be because we have had a relatively mild winter (except for the last 3 wks or so). A lady at church said she saw dozens and dozens of robins at her place last month. She counted at least over 60 of them residing in some bushes near her house. They don't always leave.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I saw about 2 dozen robins in my back yard 3-4 wks ago after one snow. I think they either froze or went back south again - haven't seen any since.

And back in January I saw several Meadowlarks - in town!! :o :o I've never seen one in town even when the weather is nice... :hmm: Early to mid-April is the normal return time for them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I have Winterberry,Holly,and other berry bushes growing on my property..I planted them so the birds would have some thing to eat during the harsh winters we have in the Great Northeast.I've noticed every year in late Feb.,(especially after a snow fall) a flock of Robins will appear and devour every berry in sight. Check to see if you still have berrys on your bushes.
I believe some stay all winter,and hang out in swamps for the protection of the thick brush,and high grass ,and in the Spring when the ground thaws they return to our lawns to hop around eat worms, bugs,and to build their nests.
Rocco.
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,and no culture comparable as that of the garden" (Thomas Jefferson) 1811
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow.....I haven't noticed any......I will be looking now..... :D
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Yep they are back here too!
I saw one a couple of weeks ago. Then another one on my pond 2 days ago. LOL Don't think they are going to find any worms. But I did see a live bug yesterday too!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

We had robins show up yesterday. There none & now they are all over!! Weird :hmm:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply