New Garden Patio, Still a work in progress.

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

New Garden Patio, Still a work in progress.

Post by BillyB »

I built this patio last weekend. 122 concrete pavers (UGH!) with topsoil (20, 40lbs bags UGH UGH!) in-between which will be planted with Dwarf Mondo Grass. Most of it is in the shade of a wide maple tree. Definitely a nice cool place to relax. Still have to edge it out with something, don't know what that is yet. After this I may become addicted to Ibuprofen, LOL. :lol:

What do ya think!?

Billy
Attachments
New patio pictures 010 (Small).jpg
New patio pictures 004 (Small) (Custom).jpg
New patio pictures 006 (Custom).jpg
Last edited by BillyB on May 23, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Whoa, that's cool!! At first I thought you had white and black pavers and it looked like the floor of a 1950's diner! :lol: Then I scrolled down and saw the plantings between the pavers. That is so AWESOME!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

WOW!! :cool: idea!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Looks fantastic! You deserve a nice break now to let your back recover. :wink: :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I think: WOW!! :o :o :cool:
I thought the same as Jane & that you had dark & light pavers. So I was going to suggest you finish off the edges with pavers cut on the diagonal so it would be even... Guess you won't need to be doing that. :wink:

How long did it take you to get all levelled & laid out??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Actually, just a few days in the afternoon after work. First, I sprayed the grass several days in advance to kill it. Second, set my tiller just shallow enough to get just the grass. And then used a several bags of topsoil to get it smoothed out. I spent most of a day laying just the pavers and filling in-between with soil.

It's not totally level. It has a slight slope away from the house, which was the original lay of the yard. I wanted it to drain away on into the back yard away from the house.

Now, with a hundred squares with soil, and each square needs 4 mondo plants, that's gonna take some time. Just finding enough mondo will be a chore in itself. 400 PLANTS! :eek:

Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yes it will. :o Could you make do with 3 plants in each square??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Looks great but I have some concerns that will pop up in a short while. No sand and you did this on tilled soil without killing the grass, correct me if I read this wrong??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

renaldo75 wrote:Yes it will. :o Could you make do with 3 plants in each square??
Renaldo, you must have been reading our minds. We have decided to put just 3 in each spot. Ann called the nursery today and placed a big order for some more Mondo.

May take a little longer to fill in, but at least we'll be able to eat! :D

Billy
BillyB
My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That's good!! :wink: I have a feeling the Mondo would be kinda tough either steamed or sauteed. :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Wow! I need you at my house. Our pavers are stacked beside the French doors, but DH and I can't lift them.

You did an incredible job! it's so beautiful.

Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

karma_Happy_Toes wrote:Looks great but I have some concerns that will pop up in a short while. No sand and you did this on tilled soil without killing the grass, correct me if I read this wrong??
I sprayed the grass about five days before taking the tiller to it. I use Spectracide. It seems to do a much better job for me. The topsoil I added to help fill in low places and in-between pavers contains a fair amount of sand in it. It great to mix in with our hard clay soil here in Tenn.

And I only tilled deep enough to remove the dead grass and roots. I appreciate your concern..... it has crossed my mind a few times if I did indeed get it all.

Billy

p.s. Bought four flats of Mondo today, they go in this weekend.
BillyB
My Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Billy, I'll check back with you in a year or two as it sounds like what we did and I'll tell you the second time we put it down it was done my way!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply