Local flower and garden show

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

wild4flowers

Local flower and garden show

Post by wild4flowers »

I went yesterday to the Grand Rapids, MI flower and garden show. How refreshing. Many landscapers had garden park scenes. And most of them had waterfalls set up. One place even had constructed a 2 story house (cut to reveal the inside 1/3 of a house.)Complete with furniture.
We went early afternoon on Friday, so there wern't as many people there. No elbow to elbow. It just makes it easier to enjoy it.
Lots of hot tubs, bricks, pavers, food prep. booths, garden tractors ($$$), anything you always wanted but couldn't afford.
The poor flowers had been forced to bloom for this show, but the hostas were out in force. They all looked nice, but could have used a tad bit of shiney leaves. (just for looks).They sort of looked dull and dusty.
Some forsythia in bloom, and lots of pines. One of the places had hothouse orchids blooming in a park setting. (obviously just for looks). I heard one of the saleswomen telling a customer about some of the plants. She was pretty 'off the mark' in her information. The plant was a Liguilaria, 'Desdemona', which has pretty dark pruple/green foliage, but it doesn't do well in direct sun with no shade. (her words).

Lots of stuff crammed into the space, and we saw it all. Nice way to spend the afternoon. CHAR
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

We went to our local Home and Garden show last weekend. It was nice, but needed more gardening related exhibits. There's only so much basement waterproofing, roofing, gutter guards, etc. stuff that you can look at. :lol: But I agree with you.....it is a nice way to spend a few hours on a wintery day. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

I'm going to our local show this week. Never been to it before. I'm sure it's NOTHING like Navy Pier's, but I'm going cause I've got the bug, and its only 10 mins away :lol:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
New Topic Post Reply