Why do poppies disappear?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Why do poppies disappear?

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

What animal eats them? Each time I planted poppies all of them disappeared.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Midnight Reiter Too

Oh, no! It's those blasted rabbits! What can I do?

I found this list of plants that rabbits like:

Perennials
Anemone x hybrida (Japanese Anemone)
Liatris spicata (Spike Gayfeather)
Aster novae-angliae (New England Aster)
Lilium spp. (Lily)
Aster novi-belgii (New York Aster)
Muscari spp. (Grape Hyacinth)
Astrantia major (Great Masterwort)
Papaver nudicaule (Iceland Poppy)
Campanula spp. (Bellflower)
Papaver orientale (Oriental Poppy)
Centaurea montana (Mountain Bluet)
Phlox divaricata (Woodland Phlox)*
Coreopsis verticillata (Threadleaf Coreopsis)
Phlox paniculata (Garden Phlox)
Crocus spp. (Crocus)
Phlox stolonifera (Creeping Phlox)*
Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)
Platycodon grandiflorus (Balloon Flower)
Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff)
Rudbeckia Goldsturmâ(Black-eyed Susan)
Gypsophila paniculata (Baby's Breath)
Scabiosa caucasica (Pincushion Flower)
Hosta spp. (Hosta)
Tulipa spp. (Tulip)

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews ... amage.html

I grow a lot of these. I had to give up on tulips. The rabbits kept destroying them. The same with the poppies. :(
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

That's an interesting list, but my experiences have been a little different. I have the following and the rabbits never touch them:

Muscari spp. (Grape Hyacinth)
Campanula spp. (Bellflower)
Phlox paniculata (Garden Phlox)
Crocus spp. (Crocus)
Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)
Platycodon grandiflorus (Balloon Flower)
Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff)
Scabiosa caucasica (Pincushion Flower)

A few of my hostas got eaten last year as did all my tulips. My roses were also ravaged in early August, but I know for a fact the damage on those trips was from deer. There were Bambi tracks all over the place the morning after the damage occurred.

It could be because I have seen a big drop in the rabbit population from where it wa a couple of years ago, so there aren't as many lawn rats around to do the damage. I have the resident fox to thank for that I think. The deer however, are worse then ever. I dread the thought, but I may have to put up electric fencing this year....

Alexa
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Fences aint all bad

Post by oldcoot »

When we built out house we had about a third of an acre in the back left in woods But later had to put up a fence so we could keep our dogs in. We had three at the time and they spent too much time in the neighors yards fcertilizing their grass to make the neighbors them happy. Turnes out it was a blessing. As O.C has GRADUALLY removed the forest (didn't cut any tree-just the underbrush) and planted flowers back there, the fence has been a blessing because behind our fence are woods forever and woods are actually on three sides of us. In them we have seen a LOT of deer, even saw one eating some of me flowers in the front yard. I have seen rabvbits out there, and we have thousands of squirrels, and I have seen a lot of foxes in the back. Several months ao we found we had a family of cyotes livinmg at the end of the swoods in a vancant cleared field. Yes O.C likes his fencd, real good..

It is the squirrels that give him the most trouble. They love Tulips Bulbs, Lily Bulbs, Crocus, and Grape Hyacinths. Since I haved been feeding them so much corn, I haven't seen them digging in my beds lately. Now its my bird feeders they chew up. Sue wish I knew some way to steralize
several hundred of them.

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John saying the calendar says it's Spring, even though it sure doesn't feel like it yet !
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:roll: They don't dissapear. The just grow up and become dogs..................... :eek: :oops: :eek: ...... :oops: Neverrmind! :D :oops: :wink:
John, a frying pan and a good homemade shake and bake mix will do a nice job of steralizing the squirrels. :D :D :wink:
Midnight Reiter Too

LOL, OED.

Well, we can't afford a fence. I'm upset about the news that deer will eat my roses! I don't have any roses yet, but want some. I've seen deer in our yard several times.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

A good dog will keep the deer out of the yard. If done properly, there's nothing wrong with putting a dog out on a long, sliding line. :wink:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

In the many mail order catalogs

Post by oldcoot »

The Old Coot receives every day it sedems, hey are now showsing those plants resistant to deer. Usually show where they show sun/shade also a red circle with a picture of a small deer in it and a red line across ther pictures.

Hope that will help you a little

That Funny and most Friendly Old Cooot named John, SAYING, IT'S FINALLY HERE.. SPRING.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Midnight Reiter Too

Yes, Old Coot, I'm paying attention to what deer dislike and planting those flowers. However, I must have roses!

OED, I won't be getting a dog, but thanks for the advice.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Have any weed controling chemicals been used in the last years ??
Poppies are very sensitive to even the slightes weed controling program. I took 2 years to get rid of all the poppies in the fields here, (and in lots of gardens too). After 20 years they are slowly coming again in the borders, but it is only becaurce we have had a 20 feet border line where it have not been alloved to spray at all, and spraying is only allowed on days with hardly no wind at all.... farmers hate it, rest of us love it :wink:
pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Midnight Reiter Too

thy wrote:Have any weed controling chemicals been used in the last years ??
Poppies are very sensitive to even the slightes weed controling program. I took 2 years to get rid of all the poppies in the fields here, (and in lots of gardens too). After 20 years they are slowly coming again in the borders, but it is only becaurce we have had a 20 feet border line where it have not been alloved to spray at all, and spraying is only allowed on days with hardly no wind at all.... farmers hate it, rest of us love it :wink:
pia
We don't spray that part of the yard at all. And we've been here ten years. I remember now that the stem was cut like someone used scissors. But people don't come in my yard and use scissors.
New Topic Post Reply