How long to wait after using chemical weed killers?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

How long to wait after using chemical weed killers?

Post by Soummer »

I've read the bottle and visited the website, but still can not find the answer... How long after treating my garden can I replant?

I'm using Ortho Weed B Gon on my weed patch. It claims to kill creeping charlie... we shall see.

If I understood how a chemcial such as this can tell the difference from broad leafed WEEDS and broad leafed ORNAMENTALS, I might not be so hesitant!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Janet! I'm not so sure the Weed-B-gone DOES know the difference between broadleaf weeds, and broadleaf ornamentals. After all, a weed is only something you don't want in your garden. The chemicals aren't going to pick and chose whiich broadleaf to kill. Only between grass and broadleaf plants.
The replant time is pretty short (7 days) with something like Roundup. I'm not sure with the Weed-B-Gone.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I don't know how soon to plant either.....Just with the Round-Up......

But, let us know if it works on YOUR creeping Charlie.....sure didn't on ours......had to get True Green out here for that to be killed....

Good luch finding out! :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I believe Chris told me, when we were at Hallson's, that he mixes up his own concoction of weed killer. He said how long he waits before planting, but I can't remember what it was. :???: I just remember that it was a shorter amount of time than I would have thought. You might want to send Chris a PM or email and ask him his advice. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

OED! Well, that's just what I was thinking! :lol: And I have to admitt, I don't "get" how it knows the difference between grass and anything else, either, but I'm letting that go.... for now :o

My Mom happened to come by yesterday, and I asked her (she has used this stuff before) but she wasn't too specific either, except to say that she just waited for everything to die, then plowed it under and planted. So I guess I'll just wait and see!

Lucy, I will for sure you let know if it works on that stuff! I hate it with a passion :evil: Mostly because it's actually very pretty when short and in check... but then overnight it grows two feet and covers everything you actually want to look at!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Round up is what I would use on creeping charles! I have a friend whos father was a chemical person, yep he worked for those folks and he used to tell us on RU you could replant after it dried. The wait period was to see if you killed what you were spraying and if not to respray in 7 days but as long as it's completely dry you can reseed. He recommended 2 hours waiting period.
As for the Weed Be Gone, which we use for the lawn we wait a couple days and follow the directions to a tee as that stuff isn't to trusty but it sure works on the dandies in the lawn.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Round up only works on the part of the plant that takes it up as in the leaves. I believe once it hits the soil it's not capapable of killing any more. Least that's what I've been told. I know you can spray on top of seed before they sprout or seed directly afterwards (after drying is recommended for obvious reason).

The other stuff is more potent but I believe still it doens't affect the ground (soil) as the stuff farmers use to keep the areas around barns/fence lines and such cleared. Can't remember the name, but it's makes the soil in essence unable to be grown in for like 3 years I think?

As someone said, other than waiting 7-10 days to make sure other stuff isn't germinating, and/or sprouting from the roots below, I'd say it'd be at that point to plant in. I would certainly do it anyway :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Are we talking about Crossbow or Casoron crystals? Round up is a top of the soil killer that does effect the roots of plants but doesn't harm the soil like some of the other chemical products.
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

Best product I have ever used on creeping charlie is Weed Out, by Ferti Lome. It takes about 3 applications but it doesn't come back.

Planting time after application is about 7-10 days, depending on rain and how fast it washes out of the top layers of soil.

It will kill all broad leaf weeds and ornamentals but not grass.

However the same company makes a product that kills grass in flower beds and does not kill most oramentals. Remember to follow the package instructions :D
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

That Old Coot named John says

Post by oldcoot »

the he doesn't use weed killers anymore. Lost a PRIZED bed of Iris last fall when in desperation to get rid of the weeds, the put it all OVER the bed. Tried not to get it on some of the leaves, but must have as very FEW made it bck up alive this year. He's gone to pulling weeds bvy hand and putting 3-4 inches of mulch on beds (not over the flowerfs). He'll see what that does

OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply