Butterfly Garden

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

bloomsaplenty

Butterfly Garden

Post by bloomsaplenty »

I am looking for suggestions in creating a butterfly garden for a specialized children's camp. I have the perfect all day sunny spot picked out. In the middle of this perfect spot is an unsightly concrete well. I am thinking a butterfly bush and butterfly weed behind the well and a horseshoe trellis over the well with a butterfly loving vine. Plants will have to be hardy as no tending can be done once the children arrive (late June to Mid-August). I would appreciate all suggestions so a plan is ready by March. A goal is to start, at that time, getting the word out for seeds/divisions from gardening friends.

Having read the posts on Hummingbird moths I would also like plant suggestions to attract these. I hope to provide a butterfly book for identification and am sure spotting this moth would delight the campers. I look forward to tapping the wealth of information shared on this site and thanks in advance for your assistance. :-?
John

Post by John »

Hmmm, a concrete well in the middle of a children's garden? Why does that make me think of a dingo ranch next door to a baby nursery...! I am sure it will be made safe!!!

Anyway, you've already mentioned a couple of the best, butterfly bush (Buddleia) and butterfly weed (Asclepias). I found a lot of butterflies attracted to purple coneflower (Echinacea) in my garden, and these flowers come in some cool new colors.
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

Bloom, I have quite a bit of info in b-fly gardening. I present lectures on the subject. I can send you what I have just email me.
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

As for vines, the easiest would probably be a clematis, but I'm not sure how much those attract butterflies. Trumpet vines are nice, but very invasive, so I don't recommend planting those. Morning glories are very pretty but are an annual.

Butterfly bushes and butterfly weed would be excellent :)

Good luck!

Chris
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

AW, com'on John! Even the dingos have to eat. :eek: :D :wink:
John

Post by John »

Funny, OED! Actually it was an old Far Side cartoon called 'Trouble Brewing' from Gary Larson.

A 'google' search should turn up lots of lists of butterfly gardening plants...
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Welcome bloomsaplenty!! :D

These suggestions are great!!

Hey Dollie!! How ya been?

Good Luck to you, bloomsaplenty!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lavender -and I have a perennial verbena, think it is okay in zone 6 but am not sure, witch attrack a lot of butterflies
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Do not forget to grow plants for the larva to feed on,
I grow a patch of dill just for the Swallowtails, milkweed family, for the Monarchs, etc
Find out what food sources you need in your area, and you will have butterflies forever.

Ed
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

One thing that will definitely attract the hummingbird moths is flower tobacco (nicotiana). It's an annual, but is self sowing. I planted it once about 10 years ago, and I have it everywhere. Each year I have different colors and plant forms, all from a planting of a dwarf variety. If you want to PM me with an address, I can send you some seeds from my plants. My yard is full of hummingbird moths most years, and my grandchildren were just fascinated with them when they were younger.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
bloomsaplenty

Butterfly Favorites

Post by bloomsaplenty »

Thanks to Dolly for the excellent butterfly information, the welcome from LucyGoose, the offer of seeds from Linda P. and to the rest of the posters for focusing my list on proven butterfly favorites. As a Herb Society member, I can't believe herbs skipped my mind.
gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

The butterflies love the Joe Pye weed and the zinnias in my garden.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
--John Muir
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Hummingbird moths love the old fashioned self-seeding petunias that pop up here in my gardens. They seem to like the darker lavender & purple colors.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I JUST saw a special on home & garden tv about how to create a butterfly habitat. They dug a shallow bog , using a rubber liner to encourage moisture with manure and dirt. They hung feeders from the trees of decomposing fruit. At the santuary I visited this summer, they had misters hanging from the trees to resemble a rain forest. The possibilties are endless. Sounds like great fun. Enjoy. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
flutterbyes in Putnamgardens.jpg
flutterbyes in Putnamgardens.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
flutter bye orange.jpg
flutterbyes.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
insam

Post by insam »

gramush1 wrote:Do not forget to grow plants for the larva to feed on,
I grow a patch of dill just for the Swallowtails, milkweed family, for the Monarchs, etc
Find out what food sources you need in your area, and you will have butterflies forever.
I strongly agree here. This is the single most important thing I've found for increasing the numbers indefinitely. The butterflies will appear more regularly and earlier, extending the season. It also provides opportunities to see all the life stages of development. Very exciting. Good luck with your project.

Joseph
Sunny

Butterfly garden

Post by Sunny »

I have Bee Balm and the butterflies and the hummingbird moths LOVE it.
Last edited by Sunny on Jan 22, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Best of luck, sounds like great fun. To expound upon what Ed wrote.....

Don't spray/kill the ugly catepillars !!! :lol:
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Agastache!

I planted some. It smells like licorice and is also called anise hyssop. It attracts zillions more butterflies than my butterfly bushes.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

In november, I had a conference about butterflies. In addition to plants, I learned that we can create a way that butterflies will come back generations after generations. Butterflies leave a pheromon (I don't know if it's a word in english, but it's like a smell) where they eat. The next generation (because life of butterflies is very short) know where to come back. Instead of a bird bath, he make a butterflies bath with sand and water (just below the level of sand) and he leave some fruits in. He also make a recipe to spread on tree who attract butterflies. I don't have the recipe with me but if you are interested, I can look for it. Also, he made me realised that we don't have to be afraid of caterpillar because since they don't eat the same thing, when we try to attract butterflies, we don't have automatically caterpillar.
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Nathalie!!

Interesting! My mom once sent me a link (I probably have it somewhere in the favorites) that said something like what you are saying.,....Also, something about a little dish of water for them.....I am interested in the recipe, please!!

Thanks!! :D
New Topic Post Reply