Lakeside scrub brush control

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

wild4flowers

Lakeside scrub brush control

Post by wild4flowers »

I'm hoping someone has some information on keeping scrub brush from coming back.
Our underdeveloped lakefront property has an almost solid front of scrub brush. e.g. willow, and dogwood, a few large poplar trees, and sumac, along with sundry other stuff.
We spent a lot of time last spring clearing the non-lakefront property. And the waters edge stuff we did do has now grown back with a vengence.
After I clear a patch, is there anything I can spray on he stubs to keep it from coming back gangbusters? Something that is water front friendly?
Once I get it cleared, I don't think I'll ever be able to mow much of it because it is so mushy, and wet. Short of putting in a retaining wall. And that is pretty price prohibitive, since we have over 300 feet of water front.

Any solutins, answers, etc.

Also, how can I get rid of the cat tails that grow just off shore? Do I have to dig them out of the muck? What type of a root system do they have? Don't they make a thick mat with their roots? If I just kept the greenery cut down through the season, would they give up and go away?

I am also dealing with boundary neighbors who think they should have bought this land, and aren't very nice about being neighbors. They are draining their gutter rain water on to my land. And letting their trash blow my way. Leaving beer cans on my side. And threatening to call an attorney over the shared artesian well. They also have a ramshackle shed that is right up next to our shared line, and county regulations say it needs to be 15 feet from the line. (county tells me that it has been there so long, that I probably can't do anything about that)
Thanks, CHAR
Attachments
3-30-06 109a.JPG
3-30-06 110a.JPG
Happiness is making a bouquet of those flowers within reach ! ! !
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I'm sorry---I have no answer! :eek: But I thought a scrub brush was used on kitchen floors not lakesides. :wink:
Last edited by Midnight Reiter Too on Apr 10, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Sorry, no magic cure, just lots and lots of elbow grease.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Char,

The way I look at it, these are the plants that keep the shoreline intact, plus they help filter the runnoff to help keep the lake clean. If you get rid of it then be prepared to put in a retaining wall or be prepared to lose ground to the lake.

So I wouldn't clear all of it. My first target would be the spreaders like sumac. You can cut them down then paint concentrated brush-b-gon on the cuts and it will kill it. Don't do it when it is going to rain or the chemicals will be washed into the lake. Roundup also makes a brush and poison ivy killer that could be painted on the cuts. I wouldn't get rid of the cattails if it was me.

To me the area really looks nice and natural already. :)

Good luck with those neighbors, by the way! That is the one thing that we do not miss about living on a lake... lake neighbors.
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Ummm, all of that “yucky stuff” you want to remove from the water’s edge performs an extremely valuable ecological service. The scrub brush at the edge of a body of water filters runoff water, cleaning it of natural and unnatural substances before it can enter your lake and upset the ecological balance. The cattails perform the same service, along with taking up dangerous heavy metals into their roots, further cleaning the water. They also prevent erosion and provide a much-needed home and natural food source for wildlife.

There is a big controversy here in Michigan on this subject, and a lot of state and federal laws apply to “messing about” with wetlands and the edges of bodies of water. There are a number of cases in the courts right now. Before you do too much, you may want to peruse the law, as the fines can be extremely high - especially as your neighbors are creeps and may rat you out just for fun. Our local river falls under the “Natural and Scenic Rivers” acts, and NOTHING can be done to a 150’ natural buffer zone along both sides of the river. It really is quite important for the health of our waterways...especially as we are acting as stewards of the largest amount of fresh water in the world here in Michigan, and alot of our folks get their drinking water right out of the big lakes!

wanda
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

The cat tails are right where I want my dock, so maybe just a pathway through them. And my frontage seems to be the only one along this side of the lake that has brush growing. And it obscures the view of the lake. I guess I'll have to just keep the old dead stuff out, and put up with the willows and red & yellow twig dogwood. CHAR Thanks guys for your input.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

You know, there are quite a few lovely plants you could add here and there (without having to raze the area first) to create a gorgeous “wet” garden through that area. Primula (especially the candelabra ones), variegated elderberry, cranberry, marsh marigold, maidenhair ferns, pitcher plants, Japanese iris, etc. Just have a peek or too of the water visible, to add interest and draw you in further...instead of having a big bland in your face “standard” view of grass-sand-water. I can see a winding boardwalk out to the dock, edged with pretty plants...

wanda
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Ohhh, I like those suggestions. I just don't want them to get lost in all the brush I don't want there. CHAR
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Char: Find a local nursery and look at the prices of the largest red and yellow twig dogwoods - that may help you realize their value! (hehe) I have them all over the property here and they are really pretty. And they are one of the few things that will grow well in those conditions. If you can bring yourself to look upon the area as a benefit instead of a problem, you will be amazed at the possibilities. That “swale” area cleans the water, prevents erosion of the pricy lakefront land, provides a home and food for fish, birds and animals, gives shade for a hot gardener, provides a privacy screen, and is a good source for twigs for garden stakes or basketmaking.

wanda
New Topic Post Reply