Rain Barrels

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Rain Barrels

Post by kHT »

Okay I finally talked the other half in making me one, well it's just not enough and on Friday I found a source for 6 more! DH thinks I'm made as I told the guy if you get more please call me, I'll take all I can get! DH about fainted!
Anymore folks out there with rain barrels? Any ideas on what you can do with them would be helpful also. I'm planning on cutting some of these in half and useing them for the Brug trees or mini greenhouses in the winter months. Am I mad or can you picture a farm of barrel projects?
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

eheheheee... our poor husbands hey? I use old brown trash barrels (the rubbermaid type) to fill with water from the hose for the veggies garden. After I've used the warmed water I fill again for the next watering. My veggies respond well to air temp or warmer water! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I have a barrel as a planter and a half-barrel in front of it full of plants, which makes a nice big two-tier planting scene. Mine are old whiskey barrels.

I've been looking to buy some plastic rain barrels with spigots at the bottom to hook up to a garden hose. I have a couple outbuildings that would wook well to collect rain water. I have plantings out there so this would get the water source closer to the plants.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

KHT: Be very, very careful! A person down the road has a barrel garden and it is (to my eyes) absolutely hideous! a gorgeous setting, a large pond...and white and neon blue plastic 55. gal. barrels lined up along the driveway behind the pond, forming a barrel berm next to the road. Probably near 100 barrels! Even with plants in them, doesn’t look very good at all. Has become the neighborhood joke...even among non-gardeners. I am an artist, and quite open to ‘different’ ideas...but this one just hurts the eyes! (hehe). Might have been able to pull it off with wood barrels, but bright plastic...no.

We have two 55 gal. rain barrels (hidden behind the house)...just emptied them last night to fill the largest pond in my new water feature. Husband is bummed, as no rain is forecast and he uses the soft rainwater to rinse his semi after washing. I use the rainwater to water indoor plants and to wash my big puppy. We need to get two more rain barrels for the barn...never have enough rainwater!

wanda
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Wanda, I'll be really neighborly and hide the barrels out back behind the big fence so you have to come out back to see them. This was a big reason DH was dragging his feet too but I promised if he didn't like them I would paint them all purple to match! We got all six and asked if he got more to let me know as I saw how he had cut them in half and those would be great to put the baby brugs in since we are planting above ground now! I too love the soft rain water for other uses that is why I want to do a full system of them. The guy that had them put wooden planks around his that he cut as pots which I thought was cute and he used a full roll of them for a fence. :lol: I love how he had them set up to water the garden rolls. I may even use them as temp. greenhouses for plants that need added protection in the winter months.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I really don't know anything about this subject but I had to say:

Oh little playmate, come out and play with me and bring your dollies three, climb up my apple tree, holler down my rain barrel, slide down my cellar door, and we'll be jolly good friends forever more.
:D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o And what tune is that sung too?
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I am unfamilar with that song, Pat, so please do enlighten us! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Must be a Midwest thing, Huh Pat? I'm still humming it!!

Okay...tried Googling it to see if there's a midi of it online but couldn't find one. I did find that it hit #2 on the charts as performed by the Kay Kaiser band! http://lyrics.webfitz.com/index.php?opt ... icsid=5268
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

That's where I recognized it! My mother used to sing it when we were little! :lol: Once I heard the rest of it, I could hear her singing the tune! Thanks for the walk down memory lane! A nice one! :D
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yup, must be a midwest thing. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw "Rain Barrel" in the post heading.

It was one of my favorites when I was a little girl.

Now I'm humming the tune. :roll:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yep, called mom tonight to check on her and asked if she remember singing playmates, and said the first couple words and off she went, singing it! Man, what a warm feeling it was to hear her sing again :)

Thanks Pat!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks for the link Pat. :D Maybe it is a midwest thing. My mom and my sister (8 years older than me) used to sing it to me. I googled for the lyrics because I couldn't remember what she said to do with the rain barrel. I found shout, holler and look so I just picked one.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

My mom used to sing part of that song when I was little. :P I remember the 1st 2 lines but I don't recall her singing anything past that. LOL
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I always wondered how they kept from getting splinters in their butts when they'd slide down that cellar door!! :lol: :lol: My Grandma had one of those outside cellar doors......I always found it so mysterious. In all the years I don't believe I ever went down those steps and into the cellar! Too Spooky!!! :eek:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

OoooooOuchy! :o Didn't think of the splinters! Bet that would hurt! Especially being on the angle like that with snow and rain. They'd be more like whole pieces inbedded, then slivers! :eek:
New Topic Post Reply