Oh Deer

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Primroselane

Oh Deer

Post by Primroselane »

We got a real surprise on saturday evening, a herd of deer came in and ate all the blooms from the daylily's and munched on the Hosta leaves and ate all the blooms, what a mess to discover all this on the day of the SMHS Daylily Heaven Garden walk in my garden, those deer keep coming back every night and bringing more deer with them, this is the first time we had this problem in the summer, just when all my daylily's were looking their best along with the Hostas. Anyone else have a problem like this? I am bloomless.
Lucille
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Yep - you are describing my garden about 2 weeks ago.

The stupid things even chewed up the Sedum and ate the new growth of one viburnum.

The worst part is they will keep returning and denuding everything in sight. I suggest Liquid Fence, Deer off or one of those products, if fencing is not an option.

Sorry for your loss, you are definitely not alone.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Ohhhhh....I am sorry for this dissappointment for you!

Good thing all those visitors are gardeners also....if anyone could understand the challenges....it should be THEM!......p :wink:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh man! :o And once they find good munching ground it's hard to discourage them! Dang! So sorry it happened to you! :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

I'm afraid when I read your posts... My neighbour saw a deer in his backyard two days ago :eek: I have no fence... Most of my garden is in the front yard, I hope the deer will not be too curious... The noise's road will maybe afraid him... The sound of the pump's swimming pool too... I hope :???:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Thanks for all the suggestions, like I said it is the first time they came in the summer, what a shock and surprise, my husband is getting up every hour in the night to get a glimpse of them, the lights seemed to work last night, I knew that big spotlight would come in handy. thanks all
Lucille
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ah, Lucille, what a disappointment, to have your garden stripped when you hope for it to be at it's best. I hope you can keep the critters away.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Thanks again for all the suggestions, we kept them away with lights for two nights and then they returned, ate all the fragrant hosta leaves and all the blooms from daylilies and hostas and ate my Ninebark and now the Pholox, some of my turks caps lilies. Like I say I am bloomless this summer. I went yesterday and bought the Liquid Fence like you suggested. Wow does that stuff smell bad. We will see what happens tonight. Our township is putting up a soccer dome for the kids right on the CLinton River and cleared a lot of dense woods,or I should say they are homeless now, so they have no place to go to eat. They do eat all the apples that fall each day too.
Lucille
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

The Liquid Fence does not work, at first we thought it did but they are back. Yes we did spray each night.
Lucille
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Wow...they say timing is everything...and that can be a good thing and a bad thing. So sorry your blooms were wiped out just before the garden walk. :cry: I don't have any advice about the deer. So far they have not come into my yard, but then again, I have a huge field behind my house and the wooded area is quite a bit away from me, so they tend to stay more in that area. Unfortunately I have heard that the field has been sold to a developer, so once any kind of building starts it may chance the deer out into our yards. :( I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it won't happen and also that you will find a solution to your current deer problem. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

To Joan
Thanks so my for your kind words, these deer have to come down the street, can not understand how they do it, we need to get a motion camera hooked up, it is so dissapointing to see all those hosta leaves gone and all my daylily blooms gone on my brand new daylily's. and the love the roses and ninebark.
Lucille
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

It's too late to save your flowers this time, but here is another suggestion from a friend of mine, who says that it works. She hangs bars of Irish Spring soap, tied up in nylon net (yes, the same stuff they used to make scratchy petticoats out of!!) on all her trees, and on little hooks all over the garden. The deer don't like the smell, apparently, and will leave things alone if they're near the soap. That, combined with the liquid fence, should help. Sorry about all those plants -- I'd just sit down and cry, I think! Phyllis
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Thanks for the tip of the Irish Spring.
Lucille
New Topic Post Reply