Ms. Karma Happy Toes....please step forward!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

Ms. Karma Happy Toes....please step forward!

Post by petal*pusher »

Mornin'! I have 3 clusters of purple datura (about 5 plants in each grouping) that I've been enjoying all summer.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed one grouping had several of the top leaves stripped clean....then found a HUGE green hornworm busily munching! I hurried in and looked up "datura/hornworm" in "Google"! Several sites mentioned this is "GOOD"! :o They said that varmit is the best pollinator for this flower!!

Anyway...since I had more plants not affected, I let him be. Now, I cannot believe how those plants have grown taller and filled out beautifully! They are blossoming like mad....much taller than the other groupings....and the top leaves have really filled back in!

Do you ever have challenges with hornworm?? Have you heard it's beneficial to the plant to LEAVE them on? ......p :o
John

Post by John »

Mind if I chat while waiting for Karma?

Wondering if it is a tomato hornworm? Same Solanacae Family of plants.

And would pollination be desirable? Seems they set seed very easily anyway...

I'll stand here quietly now and wait...
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmmmm....that's what I had been wondering! My first instinct was to S-Q-U-I-S-H that big fella! His skin pattern was different than what I've seen on my tomatoes and peppers. After looking "him" up....there's a ton of different hornworms out there!

Anxious to see what others say.......p :wink:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

petal*pusher, best pick that little trouble maker off the Dat to save it's soul. :eek: S-Q-U-I-S-H is the right thing to do for sure! So sorry for the delay but big dead lines at work and I just don't make it here like I would like, PM me is the best way to get me these days. :oops:
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Thanks! I've noticed this particular clump is about 12"-18" taller than the others!! Those chewed-off leaves were replaced rapidly....and this grouping of plants seems to contain MORE blossoms!

I have a ton of seedpods forming on all groupings....lots to share if anyone is interested!......p :wink:
New Topic Post Reply