Talk about MYRTLE.........

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

Talk about MYRTLE.........

Post by petal*pusher »

You know, Myrtle....that wonderful shiny ground cover that makes a beautiful green carpet!

We've been back from the western part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a week now, but I keep thinking about a huge overgrown cemetery we found near Rockland, Mi in the Porcupine Mts.

An old sign by a very overgrown path saying "Irish Hollow Cemetery" made us wonder what we could find. At first, we saw nothing at all but thick weeds and trees....then I noticed lily of the valley in a huge patch next to the path. Hmmmm....not a native Michigan wild flower!

A few paths had been made in the tall weeds, so we followed, and after just a couple steps, remnants of this cemetary started to appear. There was myrtle EVERYWHERE! Almost four acres of it! Such a beautiful green carpet creeping over fallen trees, grave markers....iron fences. Beautiful gravestones stood out once in a while, and several had intricate carvings and dates of early 1800's. (and me with no camera!!) Rectangular impressions about 1 to 2 feet deep lay in rows....most with no stone to mark who lay beneath. Many graves held children...all different ages, but who had died in similiar years. The stones that had not been tampered with stood tall and proud, but a large number had been toppled or broken.

There were two different kinds of day lilies, some iris that had already blossomed, primrose, the lily of the valley....and myrtle....everywhere you looked. It was amazing how such a common plant in our yards had taken over an entire huge area!

We found a tiny museum in Rockland that had an old photo of "The Irish Hollow Catholic Church". Surrounding the church was a huge cemetery....the one we had just visited. No woods were there when the picture was taken.

I want to go back...something seems to be drawing me there. It makes one wonder how many old cemeteries are abandoned like this one.

I found a young man's site that has a few pictures of "Irish Hollow Cemetery".....scroll down to the last few....it's a very beautiful place!......p :wink:

http://www.keithalmli.com/06072006.htm
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

What a find.. I love old cemetries... and that one sounds like the best kind...You must go back with a camera and take pics... am I morbid... :eek:

We have a few around here.. most are so overgrown that you can't even find a grave... and if you do it has only stones for markers...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My DD accuses me of being morbid because I too love cemetaries. Can you believe that DH and I even stopped at some on our honeymoon many years ago?? :lol: I find them fascinating.....beautiful.....peaceful.....mysterious...etc.
This one looks to be very interesting, so please do take pics of your own next time you go there. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

OMG!!! It sounds so cool! I have had a fascination with old cemeteries since I was a teenager. I try to imagine what it must have been like and picture the how the area might have looked. I feel almost transported to another place.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
keithalmli

Post by keithalmli »

I ended up searching my name in google, and found myself linked here. I enjoy the fact that you enjoyed the pictures that were posted. I'm 18 and I live in Upper Michigan. (L'Anse / Baraga County). My freinds and I often travel to the old cemetaries to check out dates and such. Theres quite a few of these types of "abandoned" in the Upper Peninsula, I have found one in Calumet / Laurium Michigan also, but the property owner defaced most of it, not to mention he will not allow anyone to enter, its also grown in. Dates range back from back in the day when the mines were rolling. There are perhaps 15 grave stones, but you cannot really make them out, as they are that old.

I will post new links to my pages as soon as i Update them!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome Keith!! I have been to your site and just get the red X for photos? :???: Isn't it fun to google oneself and find where you are being talked about? :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
newtohosta-no more

Hi Keith! Thanks so much for stopping in and sharing that info with us. I'll look forward to your update! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

What a pleasant surprise! Welcome Keith!

Our plan is to go back up late summer...I'd love to find some other forgotten places also......p :wink:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

If you were in Rockland, did you visit the nearby restored village of Victoria, an old mining settlement? We were there before restoration since I love exploring abandoned shacks but then a snake slithered across the floor boards, I scrambled right out of there. :eek:

My dad was born in Baltic, MI in 1909 and took us to his old "stomping grounds", or what was left of it. Only the rocky foundations remained, the rest was overgrown with trees and wild roses.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
keithalmli

Post by keithalmli »

Theres some 'old' cemetaries located in the area of Pequaming.. with dates back to the 1800's. There's also a few unmarked graved in the L'Anse Evergreen Cemetary.

I know for sure that the one in Laurium is abandoned because theres a state police officer which has built a new home on a lot next to it. I dont know who owns the old celemtary lot.. But I will try to get some pictures of that as well.!

If anyone comes to the U.P
I would be more than happy to show where these are! :)
newtohosta-no more

What a generous offer, keith! I have no plans myself to travel to the UP anytime soon, but I'm sure there are others here who might. If I ever do ,though, I'll keep your offer in mind. :D In the meantime I will look forward to seeing more of your pics. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

keithalmli

Post by keithalmli »

Yeah, I have added a link to my new website gallery

http://www.keithalmli.com/gallery

Enjoy.

I will be adding and changing all the time lol..

Thanks again for looking and of course taking the time to reply, as I know your time is very valuable.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Keith....thanks so much for sharing your pictures!

What IS it about some of us that we find such interest in old cemetaries?!?!? :o

I was so glad to find your pics of the Irish Hollow Cemetary in my first post...some of those grave-stones looked like they were just carved recently...unbelievable they are old, old, old!

Your invitation is tempting...if we get back up into that beautiful part of our state...I'll surely get in touch with you!.....Pam :wink:
keithalmli

Post by keithalmli »

it's no problem at all.

I added all of the pictures that I have of the Irish hollow spot.

I also have some pictures of the Meteroite which fell / near Pelkie, Michigan .. which its founder used it for his / her grave stone. I will attach a picture link :D

As for other pictures. I usually go on many adventures.. I'm what you would call a night owl. I always look for things to do. If you do come in the area, As i mentioned in an eariler posting I would be more than willing to be a "tour guide" for anyone who wants and is willing to spend a few bucks for the gas. I will do it for plainly "something to do" .

I rattle on alot and I dont know if you have noticed that.. But i will also try to get some images of the old cemetary in Laurium Michigan, which is about 30-40 miles from L'Anse by which i Reside.

The county I'm in recently had a big fire which wiped out alot of acres.. Here's some pictures.

If you don't notice in this gallery.. Theres a few pictures of THE ACTUAL FLAMES.

http://www.keithalmli.com/gallery/thumb ... hp?album=4
New Topic Post Reply