Bulb Planting Advice Please!!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

maidofshade

Bulb Planting Advice Please!!

Post by maidofshade »

I can't seem to stop planting this year. Today I picked up 50 daffodil bulbs, some aliums and some crocus. I have planted these in the past and they seem to gradually disappear for me and I wonder if it isn't varmints eating my bulbs. :???:
Has anyone tried sprinkling hot pepper on the bulbs? I want to tuck them in here and there and don't want to mess with wire.

Cheryl
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Cheryl
I bought some plastic baskets at the dollar store, 3 for $1. I just wire 2 together with the bulbs inside and bury the whole thing.. The varmets could chew through the plastic, but they haven't in the last three years...

Fran
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Hi Cheryl: NOW is the time to plant daffs. I married a gardener and apparently Daffs need extra time in the soil to establish roots were Tulips are happiest when planted in Oct. I know what cha mean about those pesty squirrels. I haven't tried hot pepper but that might be the fix to stop them from eating your bulbs. The aliums aren't planted as deep so the squirrels can dig'm up easily. I actually don't have a remedy for ya. I was just thrilled to see a new MN lady on Hallson's. Welcome. Keep us posted if the pepper works. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
tulip bouquets mother day.jpg
tulips and lilacs.jpg
oh six tulips galore.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Thanks Fran--the baskets could just work
Someone at work mentioned the pepper and may just pick that up at the dollar store too (another hang out)
AND
Lisa I almost flipped when Chaska F&G was mentioned in a previous post.
I thought that was one of my secrets. I can't believe what they sell out of that little corner place!!
(hosta sale on now did you know? I picked up a few there)
The place I work at is on Hwy212 and it's just a 35 minute run up the road for me!!
I had a heart stopper trying to make a left turn into the place a couple of Saturdays ago. :eek: I had to work a little OT and figured I would treat myself. Next time I will come in from the other side. Hope the other driver recovered 'cause I had to sit in the car for a couple to catch my breath.
NICE TALKING TO YOU BOTH and thanks!!
Cheryl
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Daffodils aren't as appealing to squirrels as tulips. One year I soaked the tulip bulbs in turpentine, but I can't give you results cuz I forgot which batch I planted where. More recently I've scattered moth balls or rocks over the planted bulbs.
Attachments
Tulips.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Mary Ann
Lovely picture. Tulips and hosta MMM what could be better than that?!?!?
I never gave a thought to the mothballs. We have used them in the past to keep mice out of the sheds. I wonder what would happen if you planted a mothball in with the bulbs?? I am more worried about the aliums than the daffs.
Cheryl
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

If you bury the mothball, you also bury the odor that is the deterrent. Try not to leave any nice loose soil that is so inviting for them to dig in. That's where the rocks or bricks come in, you can remove them later.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Andy planted 380 bulbs yesterday. MOST are in a mass planting. I usually wait for'm to go on sale but this year I couldn't help myself. I bought a bag of 100 darwins. They'll serve me well as they always return the following spring. Andy put a wire fence around'm as a physical reminder for the dogs as to where they can not run. Last year that worked out great cuz our new puppy loves to have something in his mouth and we caught him with tulip buds several times. This spring will be a different story. He knows what "NO" means and he can "leave" them alone with a verbal prompt. Now I'm waiting for spring. I'm excited to see the variety of colors and shaped. I bought some with the rufffly edge. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
Scutter name that song.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
New Topic Post Reply