Is it too late to buy new one's?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Is it too late to buy new one's?

Post by Ed_B »

I got an e-mail the other day from Hallson's.

They have their Sedums on sale, I have not had much luck overwintering plants purchased in September.

Anyone what to share their thoughts on this subject, I would like to hear any success story's in detail, would love to know how you did it.

Ed
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Ed,

Certain plants aren't too much of a problem. Last fall I planted plugs (72 count per flat cells size!) of Sedum and Tiarella during the last week of November and had zero losses. We dig and divide almost all of our sedum this time of year for next spring. With the plugs and the divisions I just bury them deeply, about 1 to 2" below the soil, then we don't water too much. Often times too much water can rot them before they ever get a chance to root out, especially if the plants have no foliage. Plants like Peonies, Brunnera, Hellebores really prefer to be planted in the fall. I would not recommend hostas for late fall, and in fact this is the last week we are shipping any hostas.

The thing that often concerns me about fall planting from some of the big mail order companies is that the plants might have been in coolers too long or stored incorrectly so they are already struggling once you get them. I've even seen cases where I've ordered plants for fall planting from some of the wholesale companies and I receive plants that have been refrigerated for over a year! Our plants are freshly dug either the night before or the same day.

Now if this doesn't convince you... We do guarantee that our plants will grow, so with the fall plants, if they don't come up in the spring we'll replace them. We rarely replace anything or we couldn't afford to offer it ;)

Try it Ed, you might be surprised!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Ed!!

Don't be afraid! Chris pretty much explained it all.....I have planted lots in the fall.....the day lilies and grasses do good, and I have other stuff I need to plant.....the hosta's need to get going so they don't heave......

Just do it.....:lol:.....Chris will help ya......Go ahead, order..... :D .. :P .. :wink:
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Well Ed, MIL decided to buy me a rose bush (hybrid tea) for my birthday which is Nov. 20th. Planted the pot and all..figure this was it's best chance and wrapped it in a burlap bag. It was the prettiest one I had this year! Oh still haven't figure out where she bought the thing at...it was sooo late.
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

I have been thinking about this, I have decided to wait until next spring to order anything.

I have all winter to plan, then decide what would work the best for me.

My biggest problem right now is room, my passion,daylily's will get first shot at all the sunny areas I have left " not much ". I have a bunch of daylily seeds that will need to be planted somewhere also.

I have have been filling in some of the shady areas the last couple of years. That is where the existing open areas are, and even there I should wait for some of the hosta's to reach maturity before I plant more.

I am going to do a plant sale next spring " I hope " to see if
I can make some more room. I do not know if this will work or not but am going to try it anyway.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Did someone say plant sale next spring? :roll:

I'm on hold to see if we move and waiting for my ship to come in! :lol:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply