Got a question concerning a rock garden?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

Got a question concerning a rock garden?

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Okay people....I have a large pile of rocks. Some are quite large. Is there any secret to using them for a "rock garden"? I 'm considering starting a bed around the back end and sides of my firewood shed. Do I just pile up the dirt/compost/etc....place the rocks here and there and plant in between them? This spot get lots of mid-day and afternoon sun,but would be quite shady in the mornings as it is at the west side of my house. Would this be a good place to plant some of my mini/small hostas and lots of herbs? Are there other plants that I can consider for a spot like this?
I'm not too talented with the garden design stuff, so I need all the help I can get. :lol:
All advice and suggestions would be appreciated. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

The herbs would do fine there - but I'm not so sure your mini hostas will like it being that hot in the afternoon. I'd think a morning sun situation if you had it would be better for them. And also if you are combining hostas with herbs, I'd want larger hostas. Herbs basically grow like weeds when they like a spot. I'm afraid they'd completely overshadow a mini hosta collection pretty fast. And then you'd have the added bonus [in a few years after you discovered the error of your ways] of trying to dig rampant herbs out of a rock garden. I'd rethink the herb thing - I went thru an herb phase too. My advice: Get over it fast & move on!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

If you still want to do the mini hostas there, my suggestion would be to plant a nice smaller tree [Japanese Maple maybe] towards the west side of your rock garden that will shade your minis somewhat.

Are you wanting to mound up the soil somewhat & then add rocks. Kind of like a bermed garden only with rocks throughout??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

That was what I was thinking , Ren, except I want some of the rocks partially buried in the dirt. I know what you mean about the herbs taking off when they like a spot, but I do want to plant some that we use in cooking all the time. My DD loves to have fresh herbs handy when she cooks.
Good suggestion too about preparing shade for the hostas or planting something larger.....maybe a more sunloving hosta instead of my minis? I thought perhaps that Hens and Chicks could be planted there and maybe some sedums, but what about something more flowery that will add a splash of color?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Joan we have done our memoral raised bed with a rock boarder and have lots of plants in there from iris to aguga to poppies to hostas at the base. Ya want a photo?? Sedums with great along with ground covers like corsica mint.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
John

Post by John »

The SECRET to a successful rock garden is to bury MOST of each rocks for a natural-looking effect. Think of the tip of an iceberg...

I'd mound the soil into a pleasing shape, adding the largest rocks first. If possible, and if the rocks are appropriately shaped, the "strata" should be facing the same general direction.

What you don't want is a round hill studded with rocks like a raisin cookie.

I'm not sure I'd use herbs and hostas together, as many herbs prefer drier conditions. But, your garden will no doubt have some micro-areas of shade... which will remain more moist.

Another idea might be to use a path, or dry-stream, of pebbles matching the rocks...

Have fun with it!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Great advises.. rocks are to be buttied at least ½ way

Plant the herbs in pots, they like it and do no harm :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Some great advise already given, so I'll just share my experiences with rock gardens.

I've done rock gardens 2 ways. 1) Terraced with a rock border and 2) Random rocks with planting pockets in between.

When I've had a freestanding mound I've prefered to do terraces to avoid the studded raisin cookie look :lol: But I've tried to make the terraces as natural looking as possible.

The random with pocket approach has been used several times on hillsides that needed some erosion protection where I also wanted flowers. The last one I did I just picked up the rocks and chucked them at the hill. Wherever they "stuck" is where they ended up. Then I put some good compost in between and planted. It ended up being fairly natural looking, but after a few years you could barely see the rocks since everything grew ove them so quickly :lol:

Another idea is that you might consider a shape other than just a circle. Making it a little freeform might help to give it a more natural look.

Good luck with it :)

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Thanks for all the great advise everyone! I had to laugh at the "raisin cookie" remark, because (knowing me) that's exactly what would have happened if I just went ahead and did it myself without really thinking about it. :lol: So I've got some considering to do now. The weather is very nice now, but I'm sure we'll have another bad patch or two...so as soon as that passes, I'll put some plans into motion. I've got to measure the proposed planting area and draw it all out on my graft paper first. Then I can decide which plants will work better in different locations. Once it's done, and if it looks okay, I'll post a pic. If it looks crappy , no dice! :lol:
And Karma....I'd love to see the pic of yours!
And Pia...I did some herbs in pots last year, so I'll probably still keep some in pots near my back door for quick access. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Here are some of the shots so you can see the rocks we used for the memorial garden. The 3 perennial hibiscuses in the pots are now in place on the west end. :oops:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

http://images.google.com/images?sourcei ... a=N&tab=wi

if it dió not work..type ..stenbed in Google and ask for pics

Still the only herbs I would recomend is Lemon thyme and slow low ones like that..and remeber the icebers digged down stones and most of the bigones in the bottom

:lol: Chris ...didn't know that phrase, but know exactly what you mean :lol:

Wrote an artickle to the Danish Alphine Society a few months ago.. :o :roll: I can kill a mini in a New York Minute.. prefere to do the typing thing :lol:

Just got a h. Uzu No Mai.. just to nail it :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
newtohosta-no more

Thanks for all the pics ,Karma and Pia! Wow....what gorgeous beds using rocks! I'm not that creative or talented,but I'll do my best to make it attractive and interesting. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

impatience

Post by impatience »

We did this a few years ago. I hope the pics will help. The plants have tumbled over many of the rocks, so it may be difficult to see. I need to take some more pics.......I've let down since I got a camera I can't figure out how to use. :oops:

:oops: Better to take another tomorrow as this one is out of proportion. I hope you can get the main idea in the meantime. (you could lay on the ironing board with your chin at the end looking at your monitor to get this perspective! :roll: ).
Attachments
Hope you can make out the rocks!
Hope you can make out the rocks!
rockgarden resize.JPG (39.96 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Before pic-pretty bare
Before pic-pretty bare
front yard 10.JPG (52.52 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
newtohosta-no more

Very nice, imp! And I think I can see the rocks here and there. I had to laugh at your remark about laying on the ironing board. I had just gotten my ironing board out and set it up a few mins. ago and thought I'd check the forum while my iron heats up! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply