I hate horsetail....

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Nathalie23

I hate horsetail....

Post by Nathalie23 »

Hi!
Did someone else have problem with horsetail (latin name:Equisetum arvense, prêle in french)? I can't get ride of them :evil: :evil: :evil: When I'm doing some cleaning in my beds I continually said: I hate horsetail, I hate horsetail, I hate horsetail :evil: :evil: :evil: Please, help me! Do you have some tips?
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I'm happy to say that I've never seen that before.

The weed I most hate is sheep sorrel (Rumex acetosella)!
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Marestail (equestrum of some sort) is reputed to be one of the oldest plants on earth (pre historic) ... the reason being that nothing seems to kill it :(
I have been demented by it since I started the Japanese garden 12 years ago. It apparently thrives in poor soil, and the digger driver unleashed plenty of that when he dug my pond :)
I use a product called 'Kaspar' which I believe to be a commercial product better than (though similar to) Roundup, but it takes repeated applications every year
Unfortunately it can't be used where the darned stuff has infiltrated plant areas
The first pic shows the stae of my waterfall area before I first
(a) Sprayed
(b) laid double layers of newspaper
(c) covered thickly with composted bark chippings
I still have to spray every year but the second pic shows the considerable improvement :)
Attachments
DSC00526.JPG
DSC00437.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wow Sam! Your garden is very beautiful!!! Effectively, horsetail is losing his fight with you! :D

By the way, Midnight Reiter, I also have sheep sorel... :evil: :evil: :evil: but it's nothing compare to horsetail :cry: :cry: :cry:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Here we normally call them christmas Trees :-?

They can have roots 6 meters down thats 18 foot or so, they can't live on a lawn so if you cut them off one or 2 times a week for a summer or 3... :roll: no problem at all :lol:

Darn them.. do not have them here, but at my former home they were every where
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply