flower I.D.?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

flower I.D.?

Post by Gardentoad »

Can anyone here tell me what this is? I don't remember planting it and I have it in several places.
Attachments
flower2 resized.jpg
flower1 resized.jpg
flower1 resized.jpg (53.3 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Wellllll.....Kind of know! BUT..... I can't remember the name! I asked a few years back about it. I'm pretty sure it's a weed, but I leave it grow for the wildlife it attracts then cut it down each fall. It dosen't spread for me, but someone I think said it does south of here further.

Don't quote me, but someone should come by with more knowledge.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Soapwort, hedge pink, bouncing Bess, bouncing Bet Saponaria officinalis.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks for the I.D.
I googled it and found it is very invasive so I better get it out of the garden.
It has already seeded so I will probably be pulling it up for years. It is pretty.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I enjoy the fragrance so let some of it grow in my garden thug bed.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have some growing out in the 'wild' border near the road. I like the fragrance of it, too. It does seed about with abandon, but since I have to weed the stuff that blows in from the ditches and fields, I just pull out what I don't want. To me, it smells like grape Kool-Aid. :D A happy summer smell from my childhood, when anything other than water or milk to drink was a rare treat.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

I pulled it all out of my raised garden, but I saved some seeds and planted a few pieces near the ditch where it is so hot and dry midsummer that I have only been able to grow crabgrass and dandilions. My hose won't reach there.
I do really like it, but I don't want it taking over.
I also have the seed from a field blowing in. I had tons of queen ann's lace this year. I think because of the heat and drought lasting so long it just took over. Last year I had wave petunias overflowing the bed and this year they barly grew. At least the QAL, sunflowers and soapwart made that garden look alive. My hostas and daylilies looked terrible all summer
New Topic Post Reply