bowling ball project

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

bowling ball project

Post by notmartha »

I did this the other night
I have made another and have plans for several more! Its fun and easy- i want to do some themed ones next,fairies,christmas and daylilies
Attachments
resized_image2.jpg
resized_image.jpg
resized_image.jpg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Looking good! So are they decoupaged? Just for indoors or sealed and can go out in the garden next spring? More info please...
Jeanne
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, more info please :)

For years I searched for old bowling balls to do a penny project (remember those?). When I finally found a bowling ball I had lost interest so it is still sitting here :roll:

This might be fun to do instead :)
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Did you ask the owner before you did that.

That's really clever, they look very nice, but what are the other bowlers going to say?
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

yes its decoupaged and i have not sprayed it with acrylic yet but plan to so as it can go in the garden!!!

i bought a jar of Mod Podge from Joann fabrics
You just get your pic and put a coating on the back side and then try to get a flat pic to form to a round ball. I start with a small paintbrush to apply with,but i have my whole hands gluey by the end of the project.

when the pic is starting to stick to the ball then with your fingers start smoothing it and holding to the ball till its sticks, at this same time i add more mod podge to the top of the pic and keep rubbing over the whole pic(with finger) till it is stuck GOOD then i take the brush with a thin coat of the Modpodge over that pic and even out the lines and move on to the next pic.
There will be creases in pictures!
Its really fun and a tad messy :)
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Oh, I think that is so beautiful. Very Creative, never seen one like it. my friend gets her bowling balls from trash pick up day instead of garage sales, and she glues glass colored marbles, but this is really different. Where do you get your pictures from? And do they all have to be from same texture or source? I too like Chris, intended to do one and got the marbles and glue and never got started, my bowling balls sits bare on the ground, but this really inspires me to go out there in the cold and bring it in and dress it up. thanks a bunch.
Lucille
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Great idea, you could even take hosta pictures and do this or tulips or roses or any pretty pictures. Wouldn't it look neat in the hosta bed. Thanks for sharing your project. I will have to try and find bowling balls now.
Thanks,
Sue
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Here's the Hosta Ball . . .
Attachments
HostaBall.jpg
HostaBall.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:cool: Ideas! I thought they were handpainted till I read how you did them! Very pretty! I'm curious how they'll hold up in the yard though. Nice job!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

i did a couple clay flower pots last night
Will take pics in a few days! Did one all daylilies

The hosta ball is very pretty!!
Libby

Post by Libby »

These are beautiful and give the illusion of such depth! I can't wait to see the flower pots :D
New Topic Post Reply