Looking for some ideas.

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Brad

Looking for some ideas.

Post by Brad »

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Looking for some ideas on doing a bit of landscaping around some stands of pine trees on our property, as well as along the back of our house. Seems as though I have absolutely no imagination when it comes to visualizing finished projects. Just would like some thoughts as to what might look good in the areas shown. For the most part the pictures that I am going to try and post are looking towards the north. That means the area I would like to develop will be on the south side of the trees. The side of the house is on the west. Just could not seem to get anything to grow very well back along the house. Everything we bought died. Lavender wouldn't even grow there. Finally, dug up some Gallardia, black-eyed-susans, and a few cone flowers. Most of them seem to have taken hold but would like to expand the bed out from the house a couple more feet. Around the pines, I would be open to digging out a few feet and putting in something that might grow well and look good next to pines. Deer are a problem (added feature) in our yard. As a matter of fact, a small herd sleeps under my pines. Want something that they are not going to eat/rub horns on and destroy the first time the mosey over....

Just would like some thoughts from those of you that could maybe jot down a few helpful hints of what you might do given this setting.

I am in northern IL, Zone 5A. About 90 miles south of Wisconsin.

Thanks.

Brad
Attachments
100_1747.jpg
100_1747.jpg (45.62 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
100_1745.jpg
100_1745.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
100_1744.jpg
100_1744.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
100_1741.jpg
100_1741.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

What type of soil do you have, and is it hardpacked? Or in other words, why did the plants die, lack of water?

What are your goals for your beds, floweres, foliage, both?

What colors do you like or dislike?
Brad

Post by Brad »

Near the house it's clay and dirt mix. Fairly hard packed. I think it is dry, but I do water regularly. I have planted other things in there, small roses, lavendar, etc. They either die or barely stay alive. So I dig 'em up and put them someplace else and they grow like crazy. I think that if I plant 3-4 ft away from the house things will do much better. It's nice black dirt out there. So I am going to make a bigger bed and am looking for some ideas for that area. I really don't have likes or dislikes as far as color. Probably a mixture of flowers/foliage that will go together nicely, or even grasses/foliage with no flowers. Like I said, I seem to have a hard time envisioning what I want the finished project to be.

Thanks
Brad
Brad

Post by Brad »

Oh, the bush at the corner of the house is a Weigala. Seems to be staying alive. Near the back deck we tried to bury flower pots in the ground and put landscape rock around them and put herbs in the pots, but it is too shady there for them to live, so we'll probably put some shade plants up there in the pots.

Brad
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Brad,

I think you are right, you probably need to make that bed wider. When planting along the sides of buildings I always try to put the first plants no closer than the edge of the eaves, which can be 18 to 24" typically. Any closer and the soil can be really bad, rain won't get in, plus there can be a lot of reflected heat. The soil up again buildings is sometimes really poor too, so come out further and work lots of compost into the whole area.

On the west side, typically the hottest side with the most reflected heat, I love to use Sedum and daylilies, and if you give it enough room some kind of ornamental grass could give you a nice vertical accent against that wall. Unfortunately deer are know for eating sedum and even daylilies, so either spray for deer or find plants that are more deer resistant. But still make sure whatever you use is heat tolerant, and really improve that soil.

Russian sage likes it hot, bearded iris, salvia, Echinacea (another deer favorite though), Yucca (more deer food), Caryopteris, even butterfly bushes like it hot and really dry. Actually, butterfly bush might not be a bad choice for out by those trees. If you can water good a perennial hibiscus could be a nice anchor plant.

And speaking of those trees, have you tried to dig in the soil yet? I would check for tree roots, and if the deer really are a big problem there you might be battling them if you try to garden there. Ornamental grasses sure can be nice though, and there are so many varieties you could almost do a garden with nothing but grasses. Miscanthus like good soil, to be buried a little deeply, and love water, but there are a lot of choices. Pennisetum (fountain grass) is nice too - I love the variety Karley Rose - and it is a little more drought tolerant.

Anyway, I would really bring that bed away from the house and don't put anything any closer than the end of the eaves.

I'll see if I have any pictures that might help give you ideas.
Attachments
Sedum 'Matrona' and S. 'Pink Chablis' with Miscanthus 'Nippon'
Sedum 'Matrona' and S. 'Pink Chablis' with Miscanthus 'Nippon'
Aster 'Wood's Pink' with Miscanthus 'Dixieland'
Aster 'Wood's Pink' with Miscanthus 'Dixieland'
Annabelle Hybrangea with Pennisetum 'Karley Rose'
Annabelle Hybrangea with Pennisetum 'Karley Rose'
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Brad!! I didn't see this post till Chris posted on it.... :oops: Wow, to have all that room.,.....I would listen to Chris.....I don't do well in the planning department either.....I am one of those just see a space, plant! :lol: If I ever moved to more room, I wouldn't be that way anymore....

Good luck to you!! :cool:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Hi Brad,

I looked at some of your past posted pix to get more glimpses of your yard. You seem to have a lot of yard, grass, and sun. Most plants take 3 years before they really take off and you have a lot of them already growing well for you.

Some of your beds look too small or crowded in relation to the amount of grass around them. I envision wide curvy beds for your sideyard, and a bench or pergola to draw the eye into the back yard. Mulching would give beds a finished look and keep them cooler, moister, and weedfree while improving the soil.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Brad

Post by Brad »

Hey, Thank-You all! Very informative and interesting. Lots of ideas in there. I like the pictures, Chris. That helps. It gives me an idea of what to look for. I just do not have the imagination to come up with ideas on my own.

I read somewhere that there are 2 sides to the brain. If you use 1 of the sides, you would be a good architect. Use the other, and you would be a good artist. I use the side that does facts/figures, not creative.

Thanks again.

Brad
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I am not the least bit creative either, Brad, and can't envision how something should look or how to achieve it.
You've got a good piece of land to work with, so take the advice of all these people that have a real talent to make things look nature and fantastic! And good luck! I'd love to see pics of the "work in progress" and , of course, the finished project. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Chris--On the suggestions you posted, would any of them be unsuitable for planting around the evergreens with the same parameters as along the back of the house, (i.e.--about a foot or so from the drop edge of the trees.) I know some things don't want to grow by pine needles, but if I was to dig out about 2 ft from the overhang and just make a bed around the footing of the pines do you think some of them just might survive to see adulthood??

Thanks
Brad
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

Gm Brad -- just a suggestion - and this is what I do -- I find a nice spot to sit to look at my yard :cool: (have a beer while doing so! :P ) and try to envision what a garden might look like in a certain spot (sometimes I think the beer tends to heighten your creative potential :lol: ) - then I move to another spot (and have another beer :lol: ) and repeat the process - sometimes this requires a trip to the local beer store to continue but eventually I come up with something - and so far my wife seems very happy with the process (along with several other gardeners that I know who now also use this process! :P :P :P ) - good luck - you could have tons of fun working on that yard!
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Brad, let me throw out a couple ideas. First make sure you have a clear path marked out around the house and then work outward from there. Pine trees can be a big trip and a half and if you check out our little house below (www) you will see what has take us 20 year to do. Take small steps and do a project a year. :wink: With a yard that size one can find plenty of things to do! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Karma--Looked over your website. Very interesting. Lots of good thoughts and ideas there.

Appreciate the input.

I like the idea of getting a different perspective of your yard from different angles with new, unexplored beverages as well. Might even come to the conclusion that getting the perspective is more enjoyable than getting dirty!

Brad
New Topic Post Reply