creeping charlie is a horror!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

creeping charlie is a horror!

Post by caliloo »

I need some suggestions.

The bane of my gardening existence is Creeping Charlie. It is insidious! During my spring cleanup, I discovered that there are clumps and vines of it going thorough the middle of several rose bushes, clumps of daylilys and just about everywhere there are little tufts just appearing. I spent many hours this weekend pulling it out and I look like I have been rolling in barbed wire as a result.

How do you all cope with that monster IN the planting beds?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I was told by other gardeners that they use Borateem on the creeping charlie to kill it in the spring or fall, well we tried it and it plugged up our sprayer, so I mixed it real good in a bucket and applied it directly to lawn that had the most creeping charlie, it did work, but maybe this spring I will have to plant some grass seed in those spots, not sure how much damamge it did to turf. Another thing to use on lawn is "Weed B Gone" Purple Label, but that we tried with no success several years in a row. it is tough to get out of the beds but my thoughts were if I could get it out of grass it would not creep in my flower beds.
Lucille
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Roundup!
Any tiny little piece of root will reproduce so all that pulling is for naught.
Can you believe I've seen Creeping Charlie sold in catalogs as a "great ground cover". :eek: :eek: :eek:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I agree with OED, round up is what we just used to rid it from a corner where someone planted it?? I like it in a hanging basket only!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I've used Trimec in the lawn, but you can't put it on the perennial beds. I just hand weed the stuff. It has gotten in to many of my groundcovers, and it's a giant pain.
I also have chickweed, which is another huge problem. The darn stuff is going to seed before the ground is even thawed out.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thanks everyone! Round-Up it is (where I can spray).

And Linda..... EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! Chickweed! It is everywhere the Creeping Charlie isn't! God that stuff is awful too... it pulls pretty easliy though so it can be gotten out before the seeds pop everywhere.....
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

When you can't spray;
-Duct tape a 2 liter soda bottle over the end of the sprayer and put it over the offending plant.
-Paint brush
-Put on a rubber glove. On top of that put on a cotton glove. Dip and wipe.

Be careful of drip from any of these methods.
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

Not only will the tiniest piece root, but it sets seed. Once you have it, you have to be religious about trying to control it.

The Borateem (laundry additive stuff) changes the pH, but it takes light dusting applications about 6 weeks apart or it will kill grass. If you let your lawn get longer and then use a bagging mower (so as to not spread leaf cutting), it helps. Be sure not to mow and blow lawn cuttings into garden beds!!!

Heavy mulching helps. As it is a broadleaf weed any bed it gets into you will have a problem with eradication.

Many "groundcovers" (creeping phlox, ajuga, lisimachia) are very sensitive to stuff like Preen. I think it would have an effect and possible wound it so you can get the jump on this thug!
New Topic Post Reply