How to get grass out of my shrubs?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

How to get grass out of my shrubs?

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I have some little golden vicary that are about a foot high. The grass has overtaken them! What should I do?
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Grrrrr!! I hate grass that invades my good plants!

I found a spray that kills grass but doesn't kill ornamentals and flowers. I have used it in many of my beds successfully, including in and around the base of shrubs. I've never had it damage a desirable plant yet.

I don't remember the exact name or brand and I'm at work so I can't go look. It's with all the other weed killers and chemicals at the store. Sure beats trying to pull it by hand!

Good Luck!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Let's also add you can use a paint brush for those areas you are afraid to use, just make sure you do this a couple times to get all the grass.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Midnight Reiter Too

Thanks. I'm afraid of chemicals, but otherwise I might damage the roots of the shrubs. I just didn't know how others take care of this problem. Those poor little shrubs need to get their sunshine.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have used Ornamec in the past, but can't seem to find it. Last year, I went looking at all the garden centers and box stores and couldn't find this type of spray anywhere. The active ingredient is Fluzapop-P-butyl. This year I ordered some Fertilome Over the Top grass killer. It's safe to use on any broadleaf plants, specifically recommended for use in new or established flower and shrub beds. It comes with a large list of plants and the method for use with each.
I'm not big on chemicals, either, but there are times that I have to resort to them. This year, I'm going after the grass in the beds! If it was just the lawn grass I woudn't be so worried, but I have nasty quack grass and ribbon grass and goose grass invading the beds. It needs a serious reduction!
Do wear gloves and eye protection when you use it. They recommend a rubber apron, which I haven't used, but I do put my clothes into the washer as soon as I'm done spraying, and hop into the shower.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I would just water the area well and pull it up by hand a couple hours later.
I don't always get it all done the same day in large areas.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Midnight Reiter Too

Gardentoad wrote:I would just water the area well and pull it up by hand a couple hours later.
I don't always get it all done the same day in large areas.
That's too hard for me! And especially so this year because I had knee surgery. :o
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

If you sit down on your bud,,, pulling your self bit for bit..you will be amazed how much you can see and do.

Had 16 weeks from mid April - with no presure at all to my knee, so know what you are dealing with

Still gardentoad is giving you a good advise... water it and pull it out.....put your small tools in a box and drag it with you with a line

Good luck with the knee :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Midnight Reiter Too

thy wrote:If you sit down on your bud,,, pulling your self bit for bit..you will be amazed how much you can see and do.
You're right! I can get down on my butt, then when I want to get back up, I sometimes yell for help. :D

thy wrote:Good luck with the knee :D
Thanks! I hope your knee is okay.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol:

Knee is fine now

I looked like an elphant in a crystal shop, trying to get up at my own :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or get someone to just dig it up.. plant and grass and when you sit there enjoying the grass ..split it to pieces and replant the plants

When you are experienced... please come here... my knee problem was 5 years ago..and grass is invading again :roll:

Alternative..get all of it up and out..find a new plant to the spot
I wish I havew been harder to anything who could self seed..weed or plants..it's all weed if not the right place :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply