Mystery plant

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Mystery plant

Post by Herb »

The picture on the left shows a plant that grew from a seed - the picture was taken early last year. It grew more leaves last year, but otherwise looked much the same as in the left-hand picture.

This year it's continued to grow, but looks entirely different. The right hand picture is how it looks today.

We have several others in pots that grew from seed & that have developed in just the same way.

Does anybody know what it is?
Attachments
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

"Holy crap, Batman! Is this another scary trick from the Plant Puzzler, the mad genetic scientist who develops genetically modified plants!?!"

Well, I've never seen it before, but based on its characteristics, it seems to have something in common with the native goatsbeard and the garden vegetable salsify. I had some salsify that went to seed and it looked very much like that, shape of bud, look before flowering, color of bloom, shape of tepals, glaucus foliage, easily grown from seed.... I'd start there, particularly if the seed head resembles a goatsbeard puff.
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

"Goatsbeard" is probably a regional misnomer, I'm thinking of a plant that is NOT in the aruncus or sorbia family, but one more similar to a dandelion. I don't know the Latin for it though.
Herb

Post by Herb »

DryGulch,

Thanks - I've just looked up Salsify in Google images & I'm persuaded that it's Purple Salsify. Next step is probably to try the root to find if we like it as a vegetable....

Herb
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

I've had the one with the white root, grated on a salad. I thnk that is the best way to use it.
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Weird! :o
New Topic Post Reply