Need ideas for a bed

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

davidpowell

Need ideas for a bed

Post by davidpowell »

I'm going to be doing the front bed with our post-light soon, and need some ideas for what to fill the center of it with.

http://sites.google.com/site/bookreport ... ontbed.JPG

I know that at the very front edge closest to the front of the picture will be red and red-white peonies which are now growing in pots out back, and there will be a white of pink clematis up the post, but past that, I have no idea. I was thinking of maybe a white phlox pan. in the middle are, maybe some spring bulbs, but other than that I'm for a loss. Any ideas?
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I love the grasses you have there.

My first thought was that you need something with a completely different texture/look. The grass and the shrub are both finely textured, you need something with big leaves to contrast that fine look. If shady, a big yellow hosta would work for me. Your peony should accomplish it also. Once the spent blooms are removed, peonies are a nice dark foliage plant the rest of the year. And YES, you need a clemmie climbing the lamp post . . . that's a given!

That's all I can think of right now at this late hour! :D

Good luck, looks like a nice welcoming spot in front.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I can't tell what kind of shrubs those are. Are they full grown? My neighbor has a spirea and daylilies around her mailbox. My Little Princess spirea is larger than I'd like at the mailbox(but it's short, just has a large spread). Would you like cannas? Or daylilies? Or maybe a purple-leaved shrub for contrast?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply