Ground Clear/ Extended Control

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Ground Clear/ Extended Control

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi!! Has anyone used this stuff? Ortho, Ground Clear with Triox.....Round-Up, Extended Control, or Ultra-Stop, Total Vegetation Killer.....

I was thinking of some of this along the fence.....BUT, the hosta bed is like on the other side....I was thinking of putting a flattened box, along the outside of the chain link fence, then spray . But what I am wondering is how much does it go in the ground? You know, like I spray that foot along the outside, but the hostas on the other side, will the ground soak it up to get to THEM?? I am so sick of the weeds.....wonder what the distance it goes is....

Thanks!!!
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Ground Clear/ Extended Control

Post by baja220 »

I bought the Ortho version of it 2 years ago, completely read the lable and then was kinda afraid to use it. So I still have the unopened bottle. See if you can go to the ortho website and read the label and let me know what you think. If I remember right it tells how far away you can spray to stuff you don't wanna kill.
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I found the RU Extended Control Label

http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/roun ... ntrate.pdf
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I have the Ortho and use it on the gravel portion of the driveway and along the fencerow with the neighbor. In both cases I'm trying to kill everything there. I don't want weeds in the driveway and I spray the fencerow so we don't have to run the weedwhacker there. In both places there is just lawn alongside where I use it, no 'good' plants.

I do worry about run-off or soaking into the ground and being taken up by the roots of good plants, so I haven't used it near my real beds. Only where I want totally nothing growing.

I don't blame you for being cautious.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Jane....quick before I leave for work......about how wide along the fence row do you see dead growth? Notice any brown grass or anything?

Thanks for replying!! :cool:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The Triox and total vegetation killers should not be used anywhere near existing beds. I think the label says something like stay 20 or 30 feet away from trees since it soaks into the ground and gets absorbed by roots and could kill a full grown tree :eek:

I used it once in the driveway and it worked well. Really knocked down the weeds and they didn't come back where I sprayed. But I was also too scared to get near any plants.

This year I used a different product that instead of having a permanent vegetation killer contained a weed preventer. It says you can replant after 8 weeks when used on mulched gardens and is safer to use near other plants and trees so long as you don't actually spray them. I used that around the shed, along pathways, in the driveway, and even spot sprayed parts of the garden I know I won't be planting in. The one I used was from Ortho and wow, I loved the results! I used to spray those areas constantly but this really helped a lot. I will be using it again.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

What the heck is the name of what you used Chris??? I need something like that!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Goose, I would stick to RoundUp and not use any of the other products due to your plants are to close. If your plants weren't to close one could use vinegar! We use that in all the gravel paths and love it better than casoron grandulas. We use layers of pine needles between the two fences and that kills a lot of weeds.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Now wait a minute......:hmm: I feel bad......I DID not see your posts before Jane's Debbie....How could I have NOT though?? I apologize.....When I just now came in here from work, I look at this thread and was SURPRISED to see you there, cause I sure didn't see you this morning.....I have no idea..... :blush:

Anyway.......I will rethink this stuff.....Thanks everyone....it's just man.....I was thinking on using it on the rocks, too, but the beds are too close I guess.....Oh well....

THANKS!!!!
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Hi LucyGoose! The bare strip under the fence is probably 12-18 inches wide. I spray directly on this area and not heavily enough to soak into the ground very much.

Like others have said, I'm a bit nervous when using it. I have another kind that is supposed to be applied with a watering can. That would definitely be enough to soak in and spread to other plants, so I have never used it. I should have read the detailed label before leaving the store!

Chris, what is the name of the one you used?

Karma, tell us more about using vinegar......
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

LG as others said, be very careful where you use that. Some are good even after they the ground, which round up doesn't. Those that do, as sometimes used to sterilize the soil so that NOTHING can grow in it! Send it here though! I've got some stubborn blackberry plants I can't bomb and would love to! They aren't near any trees or anything, just around a shed :( They actually grow up through the floor/wall to the inside. One year the vine had grown about 6 feet inside or more! Dang things! I'd like to kill the soil they are in!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh my gosh!!! Jon sent me home this afternoon. I even get to stay and sleep in my own bed tonight. After walking around and checking everything out thoroughly, I see what you mean about the weeds. They are everywhere!!! Now I see why you want to just spray them and make them disappear.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

As wishiwere stated using vinegar will sterilize the ground so we only use this in the gravel or on a path that will never be turned into grass again. I have used it around the swingset to stop the grass where I can't mow and it's nice! I also used it against the brick walls when there are no plants growing, it was nice all season not to have to use Round Up!! I also spray this around the base of our back retaining wall to provent morning glories that have taken over my neighbor to the west yard over. It stopped them cold!! One really has to pay attention as to what one is doing with vinegar!! With RoundUp it can be fixed but some of the other products, you will need to dig out the dirt to fix it. (I use half water to half vinegar.)
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply