Nut House-PICTURES phase 1

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Nut House-PICTURES phase 1

Post by R. Rock »

Hello!
Spring refreshment @ the link below. Try to view full screen!
The Pictures do have copyrights. Slideshow icon should also work.
Enjoy :beer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35507630@N08/?saved=1
Be part of the solution
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Nut House-PICTURES phase 1

Post by Spider »

Wow, I'd never leave the yard!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Gorgeous!!! You've obviously worked very hard to accomplish such lovely designs and beautiful gardens. I love that bird bath with the hosta! So cute! And Caleb (who I assume is your son?) is a fine looking young man. :wink: Does he help you in the garden?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

What a great little helper and awesome garden! Thank you for sharing with us.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

Hi & Thanks
Caleb is quite the helper, yes in a good way. It really blows my mind since 2 yrs. old he has been planting; he took this on by himself: what he plants has always been at the correct depth and when shipments arrive, somehow he knows where to put them with like plants in the nursery. The only thing with the planting bit is; the pot and all goes into the ground. Caleb is also fascinated by water, which most of us are. I do hope his early interests don't cause him to get" burned out"
Be part of the solution
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

:cool: :cool: :cool: Nut House, I'm in awe. What great looking gardens you have created. I love all the stonework and the old garden plows and wheels worked into the design. I also love the little statue of the frogs playing cards, what a hoot. I can't even begin to imagine all the hard work, it must be a very satisfying accomplishment when you look upon all your plants. Just curious, how much sun does the one bed get that has the echinacea? Thanks for posting, will be looking forward to "phase 2." All the best.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WOW!!!!

Beautiful!!! :cool:
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

Thanks, Paul!
AHH, the echinacea it gets direct morning sun until early afternoon then bright, bright , filtered light. The new echinacea cultivers really need a lot of improvement!!!!!! unfortunately durability and vigor is not in their genes as we would think, however Hallsons has some I have had luck with. I really feel it may be another 5 yrs. before some of the new ones are worthwhile, when that happens look out, it will be an addiction like hosta, heuchera, and daylilly.
Perhaps this will make more sense of why echinacea are in the "wooded gardens"... TORNADO :eek: . I spent 3 yrs evaluating of how I wanted to develope the little bit of woods I had. After carefull selection of what trees to keep,brush and carp to get rid of, a entire summer of work and materials, and my focal points were gone in a blink of an eye. The oaks were grand specimans 125 yrs. old. I now have LIGHT which has caused a lot of moving around of plants and new additions. The new additions may sond o.k. but there over 300 plants in temporary holding areas and pots. I am working on new shade areas for them, that may sound o.k. too; more gardens. The reality is I still have to go to the job and time and funding is not always available. However, an excuse for more gardens should always be positive and the learning curve of plant and light evaluation will provide an incredible amount of experience.
I wonder sometimes if we were to start life from the "old" end and work towards youth would it be boring? or would are experiences prove more fruitful lives? :hmm:
P.S. the "new" echinacea really need to get pounded with quite a bit of direct sun and deep, moist, well drained soil and winter cover.
Be part of the solution
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for sharing your pics. Your garden is breahtaking.
I recognize the rocks and the topography in the background. My brother lives 'just out of Luck', as he likes to say, and I've spent a lot of time in that area of the world. Whenever I go to visit, we end up driving around the country....brother's favorite thing to do is take shortcuts as he calls them most of which involve going somewhere we've never driven before, and getting to our destination hours later than we planned.
There are many rocks from his farm now edging my garden beds, hauled down here to my rockless Illinois farm one van load at a time. I love the old farm implements...wish I had a few of that size to anchor some of my beds. I use rusty stuff, but mine is mostly in small pieces.
Linda P
Last edited by Linda P on Feb 23, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

Hi Linda,
I really do appreciate responses & input!!! Luck is about 1 hr. away. I really like the area there, life seems to be nestled back in time. I also, really enjoy roadtrips off the beaten trail. :D
Later, Rick
Be part of the solution
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I may be a person of few words, but I believe "heavenly" describes those pics.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
ms kitty
USDA Zone: 4

Post by ms kitty »

Do you have garden tours? Those are incredible gardens. Ms Kitty
New Topic Post Reply